Comparative review: Citizen BN0000-04h vs. Seiko SKX009

Thread: Comparative review: Citizen BN0000-04h vs. Seiko SKX009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Comparative review: Citizen BN0000-04h vs. Seiko SKX009

I just picked up a new Citizen BN0000-04h at a watch shop for $220, same as on Amazon, and I was completely sold on this watch upon its design specs!!! I have questions: experts please! I found that it's ISO rated, which is promising that it's a true diver as my Seiko SKX, but with 100m more depth rating, 300m! This is Seiko Marine Master territory now, >$2000! The reason I specifically claim this is the Citizen is engineered with a monobloc stainless case. Is it helium impermeable as the Marine Masters with monobloc cases, no helium escape valve? Also, is this watch rated/engineered for saturation diving? If so this watch is the absolute best bang for the buck in engineering and watch history without a doubt! Seiko SKX price with Marine Master engineering and specs!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Comparative review: Citizen BN0000-04h vs. Seiko SKX009

I just bought one of these NIB off of Ebay for $154. According to my owner's manual, this watch is not to be used for saturation diving or in a helium enriched environment. I would still say they are a good bang for the buck.

I'm still trying to decide if I like this watch or not. The smaller size of the dial is something I'm getting used to as well as the smaller size of the entire watch. I also don't like the small crown or that it doesn't have many threads to lock the crown down.

I do like the light weight and the lume is decent except on the luminous dot on the bezel. That seems pretty weak.

This is my first quartz watch of any kind in years. I've had all automatics since about 1996.

So how do you like this watch?

Wayne
    Doxa Sub 1000T Professional, Doxa Sub 600T Professional, Doxa Sub 600T Divingstar, Doxa Sub 600T Sharkhunter, Doxa Sub 1200T Searambler, Seiko Orange "Sumo", Seiko SKX011J, Seiko SKX011K
    Seiko 7002-7039, Casio G-Shock DW5600, Zixen Trimix 44 diver(Black face), Zixen Zulu Black face diver. Scurfa Nato, Scurfa Diver One SS, Scurfa Bell Diver 1, Scurfa MS 18, Citizen Eco-drive 300m diver.

hi, The dial look very common, I have a Seiko solar diver which look the same, but it has chronograph function.
    I admire BN0000-40h back .It look very nice. since it is very common.
    I opt for the new blue version. have a look at it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great little watch, I like mine. Crown is too small and overly shrouded in my opinion. Thankfully you don't have to use it much. Love the fact that it is zero maintenance solar.

Wayne,
    Thanks for your feedback on yours. I have to say, after owning it and wearing it regularly over the past few months, it leaves me heavily longing for more from a watch even in this "cheap" price range. At $220 that I bought it, I wish I actually paid less. The specs (300m ISO, chrome hour indices, and monobloc case) scream bargain from a reputable trustworthy brand (impulse buy), but there were definite corners cut, not a true iconic classic, only a good watch that could have been soo much more (lots of emphasis on "so") and simply fades away... Should have a substantial crown (size and threading like SKX009), ion-plated bezel (Seiko SKX009-virtually scratch proof and gives superior quality, look, and feel), bezel way too wide with numbers looks super cheesy and cheap and makes the face small and cramped (terrible design I noticed over time), and not a thick enough case!!! Way to thin, especially for the case, the bezel and case are nearly the same thickness!!! That should never be. If they kept proportions of the MM300 or at least the SKX009 it would have been the perfect watch, even though it's solar quartz, I prefer mechanical. The Seiko is simply satisfying in every way. I can't possibly ask for more from my SKX009 that I only paid $168 from Amazon at the time. Best purchase I have ever made and have zero regrets! Just waiting now for the Seiko SBDC001 to drop in price, so I can get what the SKX009 doesn't offer, better fit and finish, dressier watch, ProspeX. The SK009 simply increases in beauty with age as it scratches and dings up, that is true sign of quality and dead on execution of design and engineering and materials. Seiko simply did a perfect work. I will be looking forward to the SBDC001 in the future. The Citizen is sadly a failure in nearly every way except for it's depth rating, which is apparently not worth while either (Wayne) as it is not intended for saturation diving. It's simply a waste of watch. Better off with a lesser depth rating dive watch with professional specifications (saturation diving) so you can do it all if the time comes (Seiko ProspeX). Unfortunately I'm hyper critical if design, engineering, function, and materials, this watches nags me in many directions, but I'll live with it.
    -Justin

Perfection:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like the BN0000-4h and the BN151 pictured above...or rather I really WANTED to like them...but as others have said above the crown feels really fragile and there aren't enough threads to screw-down onto. It feels like the stem could bend, cross-thread, and wreck the watch any time you change the date.

Quote Originally Posted by ED209 View Post
    I really like the BN0000-4h and the BN151 pictured above...or rather I really WANTED to like them...but as others have said above the crown feels really fragile and there aren't enough threads to screw-down onto. It feels like the stem could bend, cross-thread, and wreck the watch any time you change the date.
    The trick with the BN0000-04h crown is to gently push it in as you rotate it on. Do not push and then turn forcefully, I think that is where people have run into problems.

All that said, the one piece case back and eco-drive make up for the poor crown design. Not a fair comparison with the 009 since that is a mechanical and no where near as durable, accurate, or maintenance free as a solar quartz. Have to admit that the Seiko is the better looker though.

Now a solar option for the SKX007 would be a home run in my opinion, something like a SNE107 with a proper SKX bezel.

Alis66,
    You are correct that my comparison is not apples to apples. I do like a lot of features the Citizen laid out on this watch (BN-0004h) at this bargain price point at $200 (chrome hour indices, 300m depth rating, monocoque stainless case, maintenance-free and virtually indestructible Eco-drive solar quartz) perhaps this is the ultimate G-shock version of Citizen and then some!!! Actually, a lot more than any G-shock could offer. In this sense, it's excellent. I definitely view and handle the Citizen completely differently than my Seiko SKX009. I view the Seiko as more of rugged, timeless jewelry, meant to be worn in any environment, but never dropped or knocked violently on a hard surface, the Citizen I've dropped several times without a thought of its integrity afterwards, it's just literally one solid piece of compact steel cased around an indestructible quartz movement, couldn't ask for more in a watch in that sense, and on a nice leather/NATO strap can wear it with a suit. I wear the Citizen with a suit with the rubber strap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information