Which High-End Citizen?

Thread: Which High-End Citizen?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which High-End Citizen?

Hi Guys, I've got a big birthday coming up, and my wife wants to buy me a new watch. I currently own a 10 year old Oris BC3 followed 5 years ago by a Damasko DC56. I'm not very knowledgeable about watches really, the Damasko purchase was based on some advice from an old colleague.

When I look at them now (both have ETA movements), the thing that strikes me is that the ORIS is really showing it's age, it's pretty scratched and dented, but the Damasko looks like it's brand new and this is actually one of it's enduring features, people keep commenting on my 'new' watch.

SWMBO suggested I get an Omega, but I've really started question the logic (excluding the Co-Axial) of buying an expensive Swiss watch with a generic ETA movement that hasn't changed much since the 70's. One point of view might say that for 1/2 the price of an Omega PO I could buy a NOMOS with a true inhouse movement, and that was appealing until I read about the Harrison 4 and realised that almost all mechanical watches today (and certainly non certified models) are far less accurate than a watch made over 250 years ago. So much for progress.

The search finally bought me around to Seiko and when I saw the Astron and thought 'wow thats cool' but after looking at it carefully I have to wonder how you wear a 47mm watch that's 16mm thick, I have enough trouble with my Damasko. I'd like a GS but think I might be a little young still, and I find the styling of many of the other Seiko's a little odd though there are some great watches. I considered the RC Brightz, but I'm in the UK and they don't receive the European frequency (why??).

This brings me to Exceeds and Attesa's from Citizen. I've been looking at these and they seem to have everything I'm looking for. High (radio controlled) accuracy, plenty of functions, dual AR saphire crystal and a toughened Titanium case.

I'd finally settled on two models including one of this year's JDM 25th Anniversary Attesa's that you can see here: Rakuten: The second amount-limited BY0094-61E men of the 25th anniversary of Citizen citizen watch ATTESA ,

Name:  ci-by0094-61e.jpg
Views: 6596
Size:  194.5 KB

but after contacting 2 of the forum friendly resellers, I discovered yesterday that they are sold out so after hunting around last night I discovered there's a new model coming out in Nov (BY0094-79E) that you can see here 25th Anniversary NEW Model??????????????CITIZEN-???????? by clicking on the '25th Anniversary New Model' link.

It looks similar to the 61E above with plain indices except it has the XII Roman Numerals from the BY0044-69E アテッサ 25周年記念モデル 第1弾 BY0044-69E[CITIZEN-シチズン腕時計] plus it has a snowflake like pattern on the face. Nice?

The other option is the Exceed BY0064-53E. It's quite a lot more but is slightly smaller (42mm vs 44mm) and perhaps has a slightly better high end finish, but then the Attesa finish looks pretty good. 電波時計 エクシード[ワールドタイム] BY0064-53E[CITIZEN-シチズン腕時計]
    Name:  by0064-53e.jpg
Views: 5702
Size:  23.2 KB

The movement's are identical so there's nothing in it really apart from the design, and the Exceed is clearly dressier than the Attesa, but I can get away with either most days. I do like anything that's limited in numbers but the Exceed's finish might sway it for me IF it's closer to a GS or 'The Citizen'.

Any gotchas, advice, or opinions?
    Last edited by vinylwasp; October 22nd, 2012 at 22:11.
    Made in NZ: Oris BC3 Day/Date White/Blue + Damasko DC56

Re: Which High-End Citizen?

I actually have the Exceed BY0064-53E and it is an absolutely beautiful watch close up. The photos online don't really do justice to the detail of the dial nor the crystal. I was amazed when i first unwrapped it at the clarity of the crystal, it is virtually invisible from most angles. The finish on the Exceed is PTIC Duratect which is obviously not as hard as the MRK mix on the Promasters or the DLC on the Attesa you were looking at (I was also looking to get one of these until I found they were sold out), but nevertheless very good. I believe the detail / quality of the finish is extremely good and virtually identical to that of the Chronomasters (these also use the PTIC coating). Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Last edited by richyhu; October 28th, 2012 at 20:44.

Richyhu, they are releasing another version of the BY0094-61E in less than two weeks. You can see it on the Attesa site- im waiting for it as well. It's called the 25th anniversary model-3. It look exactly the same as the BY0094-61E to me, with some minor differences.
    Last edited by alawode; October 31st, 2012 at 20:54.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm getting quotes of $1800+ for this watch [The BY0094-79E], do you think its worth that amount?????

Quote Originally Posted by alawode View Post
    I'm getting quotes of $1800+ for this watch [The BY0094-79E], do you think its worth that amount?????
    If he likes the watch,then i don't think it matters what we think if it is worth it or not.
    Mike

I like the BY0044-77E, which just came out - DLC coated titanium case and band, clean dial. Anyone else looking at this one?

Name:  20121108_804339.jpg
Views: 5328
Size:  122.2 KB

The BY0044-77E did not just come out, in fact you cant even buy it anymore. It was a limited edition released early this year and its sold out in most places

Good to know, the Citizen jp website still lists it as new. Too bad it's sold out, great looking watch. I'll have to look at some other H610 based Attesas.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

^^^^^^^
    Why not just wait for the BY0094-79E? It's going to be released in japan in 4 days- here's the link to the site http://citizen.jp/attesa/special/25th/index.html
    Last edited by alawode; November 16th, 2012 at 15:24.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylwasp View Post
    Hi Guys, I've got a big birthday coming up, and my wife wants to buy me a new watch.
    SWMBO suggested I get an Omega

Any gotchas, advice, or opinions?
    Viny,

Which watch made the birthday list?

Thanks,

Philip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information