JJY Simulators - How do they work? Should we care?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: JJY Simulators - How do they work? Should we care?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question JJY Simulators - How do they work? Should we care?

Hi all, as some of you may be familiar, high end Citizen watches in many locations in the world, sync their time via a radio tower to have perfect atomic time.

In Japan, China, Europe and the United States, there's a tower available, this probably covers 75%-85% of the Citizen watch users with this feature.

However for those of us in, Africa, South America, Russia, India, Australia and New Zealand (perhaps others?), we're left without this function because our watch population is too small to warrant a tower just for us.

There is another way though, to get your watch synced to Atomic time (or very close), it's called a JJY Simulator.

This is very clever, and I'll post everything I know at the moment, updating this OP when I learn more from others.

An iOS application is available by the developer NeoCat called "JJY Simulator". It's been on the App Store since late February 2014.

What it does is very simple. It will transmit a radio frequency to your watch with the time on your iOS Device. To do this its recommended you use headphones, press the button on the app, put your watch into receive mode (manual), then hold the headphones to the watch and wait for it to receive the signal.

I downloaded the app, translated the text from Japanese to English, to understand the instructions and tried to do so, with no avail. I've read of others having more success.

One problem I foresee, is this is potentially only viable for a watch from Japan, meaning it transmits the same signal as the Japanese tower only. However my understanding was that all of these watches can receive signals from all of the towers, but I could be mistaken, my watch for example is from Italy, so perhaps I need a European signal for it to work?

Here's the developer's page including an iOS link, and a YouTube video proving that the app works, with an iPhone using headphones to a radio desk clock. JJY Simulator

If there's more information that I'm missing, possibly other apps (especially an Android one) or your tales of success, please post below (preferably with your watch and iDevice used).
    Last edited by Conza; October 11th, 2014 at 03:20. Reason: Grammar
    GreenHex likes this.

Re: JJY Simulators - How do they work? Should we care?

Is there a version for androids?

Quote Originally Posted by rcaddict View Post
    Is there a version for androids?
    I've posted before in another thread Brisbane Australia: Are we still receiving atomic spill over signals from Japan? - Page 3

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Conza View Post
    One problem I foresee, is this is potentially only viable for a watch from Japan, meaning it transmits the same signal as the Japanese tower only. However my understanding was that all of these watches can receive signals from all of the towers, but I could be mistaken, my watch for example is from Italy, so perhaps I need a European signal for it to work?
    You'll probably need to emulate the European tower rather than the Japanese tower. I have a radio controlled Citizen and it specifically states that it only works with the US and Europe towers. My guess is your watch is the same way.

AFAIK there is no simple way to emulate European signal. And yes - some Citizens only receive EU and/or USA signal.

There is however the PC version of the Japanese signal.
    JJY Emulator
    Radio Time Pulse Emulator

Maybe someone can reverse engineer the JJY simulator, or build a WWVB version of it using these softwares

WWVB Subcode Test Generator - wwvb1.exe

WWVB Subcode Test Generator - wwvb2.exe

Simple Software <<< I tested the ones on this page with my Citizen AT4010-50E, the watch showed signal reception, however the watch's new time was late by about 10 seconds from the computer time.

Hi there has there been any progress on this subject pls?

I just bought a MRG and need to sync my watch n I m not in range of a waveceptor tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi001 View Post
    AFAIK there is no simple way to emulate European signal. And yes - some Citizens only receive EU and/or USA signal.

There is however the PC version of the Japanese signal.
    JJY Emulator
    Radio Time Pulse Emulator

I am curious about this as well.. not working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwind View Post
    Hi there has there been any progress on this subject pls?

I just bought a MRG and need to sync my watch n I m not in range of a waveceptor tower.

Does anyone know what the Australian page is talking about regarding the below remarks about a 30 minute offset?

This page uses a thirty minute time offset (for Citizen Watches). If you need a zero offset, use the other page.

There is an inbuilt "offset", which may vary from country to country (it's 30 minutes in Australia). If you need this, you will also need the custom version on your local PC.
    Finally have a Duratect MRK watch ^_^

The author of the JJY Java Applet lives in Adelaide, South Australia. They have a 30 min time zone difference (offset) to Japan (JJY). He wrote the software specifically for that time zone. I live in Melbourne, Australia and to get that Java Applet to sync the correct time for me here in Melbourne, I had to change the time zone on my PC to Tokyo first, then reload that JJY Java App web site with the ZERO offset page and let it run. It does work if you follow the author's instructions. It does not take into account any "Summer Time" (DST) settings. You will need to set that manually.
    CitizenPromaster likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information