Promaster Diver BN0190, BN0191, BN0198
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Promaster Diver BN0190, BN0191, BN0198

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Promaster Diver BN0190, BN0191, BN0198

I was looking for something that would keep good time, didn't require winding or adjusting every week, something I could work AND play in, and something that I could get wet...all for a relatively inexpensive price. Basically I wanted a good-looking, everyday watch that I could wear no matter what I was doing. My Aquis (and a couple of others) aren't going to be used while I'm working around the house or out on the motorcycle, and I wanted something a little more "traditional" than my G-Shocks.

I chose to go with the Citizen Promaster Diver. The BN0190 (black), BN0191 (blue), and BN0198 (gray) are only different in color. The BN0190 and 0191 both have a silver colored bezel that matches the case, the top of which is color-matched to the face of the watch. The the whole bezel on the BN0198 is gray, with the numbers being a lighter shade than the bezel ring. From here on, all said applies to all three of the pieces that I have unless otherwise stated.

To me, they're really good looking watches. The nicely done case is the right size for my 7.25" wrists: right at 45 mm with the crown, 12 mm thick, and about 50 mm lug-to-lug. It fit my needs so well - and I was able to find really good sales - that I ended up with 3 different variations.
    Many aren't fans of quartz movements, but it's hard to beat the ease and dependability of the Eco-Drive technology Citizen uses...a little light and away we go.

The layout of the dial is extremely easy to read at a glance with right-sized applied markers, but the date window is a little small for me to read without my glasses. All of the faces have a nice "sunburst" finish and a subtle grooved ring (track) that circles it where the minute markers are applied. The second hand hits all of its marks (slightly off only a couple marks on the BN0191), and the 60 click bezel is spot-on in its alignment. The accuracy is well within the +/-15 seconds per month specs - mine are within +/- 5 seconds per month (which works out to +/- 1 minute per year). The screw-in crown looks small - and it is - but its shape makes it easy to manipulate. The lume on the hands/indexes (or indices if you wish) is a greenish blue with the bezel pip being green...all easily visible at 0600 after being "charged" at 2200 the previous night (8 hours). I would rather have a sapphire crystal as opposed to the mineral one, but for around a couple hundred bucks I'm okay making this concession.

The rubber strap that comes on the watch is okay...but I'm not really a fan of it. Since the lug width is 22 mm, it was easy to replace it with a leather strap that I like better. The bracelet that is available with this watch is a nice one for this price-point with solid end links. It's a little dressier than I'd prefer on a daily basis, however, I've kept it on the BN0190 for those instances when I want a little nicer look. The deployment clasp has a "push button" open/close mechanism with a fold over lock and 3 micro-adjust holes. There is no wet suit extension, which I find odd for a dive watch.

Although I'll likely not go deeper than the deep end of the pool, the watch is an ISO certified diver. To emphasize its diving capabilities, it came in one of the "scuba tank" boxes that I think is pretty cool. I'm not a packaging guy, but my son is going to love it.

Bottom line: This family of Promaster Divers really fills a need in my collection. They're nice looking watches that don't have to be babied or require a lot of (any?) maintenance. I think anybody looking for a relatively inexpensive watch that is at home in a variety of settings should look into these models.

(A BN0190 review was previously posted to the general "Reviews" section, but I modified it for posting here in the "Citizen Reviews" section)

Name:  promaster bracelet leather.jpeg
Views: 738
Size:  1.98 MB

Name:  promaster leather bracelet.jpeg
Views: 743
Size:  2.28 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Sugman; January 8th, 2019 at 19:56.
    Negakinu, Tsarli, jjohn73 and 6 others like this.
    If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone, somewhere is making a penny.

Re: Promaster Diver BN0190, BN0191, BN0198

Good review! I'm amazed that you bought 3 versions of the same watch!

I've tried on the BN0190-15E (black with rubber strap) at a local AD and liked it, but the one I'm really lusting after is the rose gold tone version, BN0193-17E:

Name:  Untitled picture.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  42.8 KB
    “Time brings all things to pass.” Aeschylus

Quote Originally Posted by sunmoonstar.13 View Post
    Good review! I'm amazed that you bought 3 versions of the same watch!

I've tried on the BN0190-15E (black with rubber strap) at a local AD and liked it, but the one I'm really lusting after is the rose gold tone version, BN0193-17E:

Name:  Untitled picture.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  42.8 KB
    I know...it's a little odd. But like I said, they ticked the boxes and are versatile enough to be worn frequently...and, importantly, I got really good deals on them. I've been wearing more of my automatics here lately, but once the weather warms up and I'm outside goofing around with my son or on the motorcycle these will get a lot of use.

I think the rose gold model would look great on a nice black leather strap.
    sunmoonstar.13 likes this.
    If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone, somewhere is making a penny.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Really enjoyed reading your review, thank you for all the info, they really are great looking pieces...now to find one....

I was looking at the BN0191-55L and tried it on in the shop a few days ago. However it's 45mm is just too big for my smaller 6.5" wrists. Gutted! If only they did it in a smaller 41/42mm version, I'd be really happy.

Instead I went for the older, but equally venerable and impressive BN0151-09L for it's smaller size (43mm). However it wears smaller: more like a 41mm and thus it's much better suited for my wrists.

The one negative I would say about both is the date window. It's fairly recessed into the dial and quite small so it can be very tricky to read in poorer lighting conditions. Why Citizen decided to do that is beyond me, but it's a shame. I can live with it though as it so much going for it and I would say it's probably the best diver you can get for ~£200. SKX fanboys may disagree, but these Promasters have better build quality and of course that ECO-DRIVE with 5 year warranty cannot be beaten.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    sunmoonstar.13 likes this.

I just purchased the BN0191-55L (blue face w/ bracelet) after much researching of quartz dive watches. What a great decision that was! I already had the Citizen Chandler blue dial echo drive chrono & loved it, so that helped in my choice here. I have a square 6-1/2 " wrist & wear the watch a bit loose in order to be able to adjust position. Feels good. Wear all my watches like that (leather straps included). Being a dive watch, the 45mm case is a non issue on a smaller wrist, IMO. Just love the heft of this watch w/ the S.S. bracelet.
    Does anyone know for certain what Stainless Steel is used for this particular watch case? I was hoping for 316L but would be OK with 304L. The case on my Citizen Chandler is inferior in quality & finish so I'm hoping for upgrade with the diver. Looks fine but that doesn't tell me much. I'll get a photo posted soon. Thanks for any help.
    B.
    Last edited by B....; May 31st, 2019 at 01:14. Reason: spelling

Sorry for the double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugman View Post
    I was looking for something that would keep good time, didn't require winding or adjusting every week, something I could work AND play in, and something that I could get wet...all for a relatively inexpensive price. Basically I wanted a good-looking, everyday watch that I could wear no matter what I was doing. My Aquis (and a couple of others) aren't going to be used while I'm working around the house or out on the motorcycle, and I wanted something a little more "traditional" than my G-Shocks.

I chose to go with the Citizen Promaster Diver. The BN0190 (black), BN0191 (blue), and BN0198 (gray) are only different in color. The BN0190 and 0191 both have a silver colored bezel that matches the case, the top of which is color-matched to the face of the watch. The the whole bezel on the BN0198 is gray, with the numbers being a lighter shade than the bezel ring. From here on, all said applies to all three of the pieces that I have unless otherwise stated.

To me, they're really good looking watches. The nicely done case is the right size for my 7.25" wrists: right at 45 mm with the crown, 12 mm thick, and about 50 mm lug-to-lug. It fit my needs so well - and I was able to find really good sales - that I ended up with 3 different variations.
    Many aren't fans of quartz movements, but it's hard to beat the ease and dependability of the Eco-Drive technology Citizen uses...a little light and away we go.

The layout of the dial is extremely easy to read at a glance with right-sized applied markers, but the date window is a little small for me to read without my glasses. All of the faces have a nice "sunburst" finish and a subtle grooved ring (track) that circles it where the minute markers are applied. The second hand hits all of its marks (slightly off only a couple marks on the BN0191), and the 60 click bezel is spot-on in its alignment. The accuracy is well within the +/-15 seconds per month specs - mine are within +/- 5 seconds per month (which works out to +/- 1 minute per year). The screw-in crown looks small - and it is - but its shape makes it easy to manipulate. The lume on the hands/indexes (or indices if you wish) is a greenish blue with the bezel pip being green...all easily visible at 0600 after being "charged" at 2200 the previous night (8 hours). I would rather have a sapphire crystal as opposed to the mineral one, but for around a couple hundred bucks I'm okay making this concession.

The rubber strap that comes on the watch is okay...but I'm not really a fan of it. Since the lug width is 22 mm, it was easy to replace it with a leather strap that I like better. The bracelet that is available with this watch is a nice one for this price-point with solid end links. It's a little dressier than I'd prefer on a daily basis, however, I've kept it on the BN0190 for those instances when I want a little nicer look. The deployment clasp has a "push button" open/close mechanism with a fold over lock and 3 micro-adjust holes. There is no wet suit extension, which I find odd for a dive watch.

Although I'll likely not go deeper than the deep end of the pool, the watch is an ISO certified diver. To emphasize its diving capabilities, it came in one of the "scuba tank" boxes that I think is pretty cool. I'm not a packaging guy, but my son is going to love it.

Bottom line: This family of Promaster Divers really fills a need in my collection. They're nice looking watches that don't have to be babied or require a lot of (any?) maintenance. I think anybody looking for a relatively inexpensive watch that is at home in a variety of settings should look into these models.

(A BN0190 review was previously posted to the general "Reviews" section, but I modified it for posting here in the "Citizen Reviews" section)

Name:  promaster bracelet leather.jpeg
Views: 738
Size:  1.98 MB

Name:  promaster leather bracelet.jpeg
Views: 743
Size:  2.28 MB
    Nice watch. So it came with the metal bracelet?

Oops, I "accidentally" bought a slightly used Bn0198 on ebay for $82 shipped. Also bought a BN0195 from the same seller missing some bracelet pins awhile back, but it was otherwise perfect.

Looks like the BN0198 is sized to only a 6.5" wrist, while mine is 7.25".

Bet the links I need will be more than I paid for the watch. Will probably just wear it on other bands.

Sugman, of the original bracelets that you had replaced, were you able to use original spring bars with leather or rubber straps?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information