REVIEW: Citizen AT8010-58E Eco-Drive World Chronograph
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WichitaViajero

Thread: REVIEW: Citizen AT8010-58E Eco-Drive World Chronograph

REVIEW: Citizen AT8010-58E Eco-Drive World Chronograph

Hello everyone, new (ish) forum member here,

This is my review of a watch that is very special to me; it was the first I ever bought at 17. I knew nothing about watches, I just knew I wanted a nice one with lots of complications while still being practical. So without any further delay, here it is:

Name:  IMG_0097.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  34.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_0101.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  26.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0098.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  24.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0105.jpg
Size:  16.8 KB

I wanted to get some good shots of both the case and the bracelet because at the time when I bought it, they were the most handsome features of the watch. I still think it's a beaut. It wears quite nicely for a 44mm; it doesn't look to big at all and the bracelet slims it down quite nicely. Recently I discovered the whole battle-royale between quartz and automatic movements, and even though this is a Japanese quartz movement, I find that it doesn't bother me so much, but that's just because this watch has such a big nostalgic factor for me that I can let it go. But for the most part I now prefer automatics.

It's also quite a heavy watch, which to me makes it seem more expensive somehow.. Maybe that's just me. The weight of the watch I think lends to how nicely it fits on the wrist; it's snug without being too tight, and the bracelet ALWAYS stays attached. In fact it has never come undone on me and I would go as far as to say that it's the best bracelet I've experienced. Although I have yet to try the oyster bracelet for the Seiko SKX, but that's for another time.

Now for some of the bad.. The case, as you might be able to tell from the photos give off a LOT of glare. Sometimes it get's so bad when I'm out and about that I can't actually clearly read the watch; it's rather embarrassing because people may think you can't tell time. Awkward. Their website even says that the saphire crystal is anti-reflective, but I tend to doubt it. Anyway, despite the glare, the case is actually pretty tough and scratch-resistant. The watch can look nicer for longer as a result.

As for the movements and complications, the world time function is simply excellent. I travel a lot, and it's incredibly handy to be able to quickly switch time zones. It makes me feel like james bond. The chronograph is mediocre; it can only time up to 60 minutes and the milisecond dial only functions up until the 30 second mark. Also, it is barely visible in the dark because it has no lume, and so if lume is one thing you're looking for in a watch, I would move on from this one; it's a definite flaw in practicality. As for the water resistance.. I am still hesitant to try it even though it has a 20 bar rating. Somehow I don't think chronographs make the best divers, but try it at your peril!

All in all, this a DECENT entry-level tool watch. I say this because it has a lot of practical and cool functions that make it incredibly handy to have around, but it lacks certain capabilities that would make it a GREAT tool watch (lack of lume, dodgy water resistance etc.). Having said that, it is incredible to look at and it is incredibly versatile, enough that it is a great everyday watch.

Let me know if I missed anything or if anyone has any further questions about the watch! I enjoyed writing this review and I hope to learn more about the forum in the future.

Cheers!
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Rolex Datejust 1601

Re: REVIEW: Citizen AT8010-58E Eco-Drive World Chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by Brucemduncan View Post

This is my review of a watch that is very special to me; it was the first I ever bought at 17. I knew nothing about watches, I just knew I wanted a nice one with lots of complications while still being practical. So without any further delay, here it is:

I wanted to get some good shots of both the case and the bracelet because at the time when I bought it, they were the most handsome features of the watch. I still think it's a beaut. It wears quite nicely for a 44mm; it doesn't look to big at all and the bracelet slims it down quite nicely. Recently I discovered the whole battle-royale between quartz and automatic movements, and even though this is a Japanese quartz movement, I find that it doesn't bother me so much, but that's just because this watch has such a big nostalgic factor for me that I can let it go. But for the most part I now prefer automatics.

It's also quite a heavy watch, which to me makes it seem more expensive somehow.. Maybe that's just me. The weight of the watch I think lends to how nicely it fits on the wrist; it's snug without being too tight, and the bracelet ALWAYS stays attached. In fact it has never come undone on me and I would go as far as to say that it's the best bracelet I've experienced. Although I have yet to try the oyster bracelet for the Seiko SKX, but that's for another time.

Now for some of the bad.. The case, as you might be able to tell from the photos give off a LOT of glare. Sometimes it get's so bad when I'm out and about that I can't actually clearly read the watch; it's rather embarrassing because people may think you can't tell time. Awkward. Their website even says that the saphire crystal is anti-reflective, but I tend to doubt it. Anyway, despite the glare, the case is actually pretty tough and scratch-resistant. The watch can look nicer for longer as a result.

As for the movements and complications, the world time function is simply excellent. I travel a lot, and it's incredibly handy to be able to quickly switch time zones. It makes me feel like james bond. The chronograph is mediocre; it can only time up to 60 minutes and the milisecond dial only functions up until the 30 second mark. Also, it is barely visible in the dark because it has no lume, and so if lume is one thing you're looking for in a watch, I would move on from this one; it's a definite flaw in practicality. As for the water resistance.. I am still hesitant to try it even though it has a 20 bar rating. Somehow I don't think chronographs make the best divers, but try it at your peril!

All in all, this a DECENT entry-level tool watch. I say this because it has a lot of practical and cool functions that make it incredibly handy to have around, but it lacks certain capabilities that would make it a GREAT tool watch (lack of lume, dodgy water resistance etc.). Having said that, it is incredible to look at and it is incredibly versatile, enough that it is a great everyday watch.

Let me know if I missed anything or if anyone has any further questions about the watch! I enjoyed writing this review and I hope to learn more about the forum in the future.

Cheers!
    Thank you for the review!

Certainly! Always happy to share
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Rolex Datejust 1601

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I owned one of these for about 1 1/2 years, and agree with your review:

-Quite heavy, just as much or even heavier than a TaG Heuer Carrera.
    -Very nice bracelet indeed

-Mediocre lume, terrible actually
    -Hard to read, between the glare and the super busy dial
    -Totally agree with you on the Chrono,

Overall, I enjoyed the watch while I had it, and I miss it.

and just like you, I'm into automatics now, so I had to sell it to fund my next purchase at the time.

best regards,

You can see a couple of pictures of the one I had, at the bottom of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucemduncan View Post

Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by WichitaViajero; February 1st, 2016 at 22:21.
    Brucemduncan likes this.

Wichita Viajero

Omega Seamaster 300 Professional 2055.80 (Electric Blue)
    Tag Heuer Aqua Racer WAY1112
    Bulova Accu Swiss 63B185
    Orient Star Open heart
    Citizen Titanium Skyhawk Eco Drive JR3060-59F flight Chronograph
    Seiko a738 Chronograph
    Citizen Ana DIgi Temp Watch JG 2002-53W Gold Finish
    Hamilton Khaki Mechanical
    Tissot PR100
    Citizen Q&Q two tone watch
    Bulova corporate executive
    Timex Expedition

Thanks for your reply! I totally feel you; after such a long time with it, I hardly wear it. Especially now since I've gotten into automatics, it unfortunately just sits on the top of my dresser. It just doesn't do it for me anymore, you know? Might sell it soon.

Cheers,

B
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Rolex Datejust 1601

Agreed!

best regards,

Wichita Viajero

Omega Seamaster 300 Professional 2055.80 (Electric Blue)
    Tag Heuer Aqua Racer WAY1112
    Bulova Accu Swiss 63B185
    Orient Star Open heart
    Citizen Titanium Skyhawk Eco Drive JR3060-59F flight Chronograph
    Seiko a738 Chronograph
    Citizen Ana DIgi Temp Watch JG 2002-53W Gold Finish
    Hamilton Khaki Mechanical
    Tissot PR100
    Citizen Q&Q two tone watch
    Bulova corporate executive
    Timex Expedition

Thread Information