Upgrade Your Citizen Watch To Sapphire Crystal - Hurley Roberts Service Review (Pictures)
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Upgrade Your Citizen Watch To Sapphire Crystal - Hurley Roberts Service Review (Pictures)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs Up Upgrade Your Citizen Watch To Sapphire Crystal - Hurley Roberts Service Review (Pictures)

This is a departure from your basic watch review. I had intended this to be a review on the
    Citizen Calibre 2100 AV0030-51A but due to circumstance I had to use the Citizen Service Center to upgrade the crystal on this watch.

The service requested was upgrade the Mineral Crystal to Sapphire Crystal. I've used the Service Center before for warranty covered repairs but this was the first time using it for something out of warranty and something other than repair.

There have been lots of questions about the Sapphire Crystal upgrades in regards to how and which service centers perform them. The intention of this thread is to demystify the Citizen USA Service experience while shedding light on the Sapphire Upgrade process.

Here is a short video describing my experience after the journey of using the Hurley Roberts Citizen Service Center based in Atlanta, GA.

Below is a day by day account and in dept review of my recent June 2013 experience with Hurley Roberts Service Center where my watch underwent Crystal upgrade to Sapphire.

Monday - May 20:

On this day my brand new AV0030-51A watch arrived in the mail. My Seller promised that it would be a Sapphire Crystal watch. More on this later.

Tuesday - May 21:

After posting pictures of my new watch on WUS I was alerted by Kilovolt that the glass on my watch looked like Mineral and was not Sapphire. The pictures of my watch showed the glass floating above the bezel and having a blue/greenish hue at the edge. Sapphire on the Calibre 2100 sits flush with the bezel and has a pinkish hue. Below in the pictures you can see how my watch crystal looked out the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilovolt View Post
    It comes to my mind a discussion on this same subject a few years ago on another forum. At that time the watches sold in Italy and Germany had a sapphire glass while the ones sold in the UK a mineral glass. If I well remember the conclusion was that the sapphire glass is slightly thinner and it is somewhat recessed in respect of the bezel (like in my watch) while the mineral one is slightly protruding because of its higher thickness.
    I think you can compare your watches and check whether this is still true.

Now I recall that this story came out because some Englishmen complained about a chipped glass edge while some Italians (including myself) and Germans said it was impossible because the glass was recessed and its edge protected by the bezel. After much exchange of posts the above difference in thicknesses was confirmed.

Wednesday - May 22:

Concerned I did several 'at home' test to check which all hinted it was not Sapphire on my watch. That afternoon I took the watch to a midtown Manhattan jeweler who didn't have tools but compared my watch to other luxury sapphire watches in the store. Sapphire watches all had a pinkish hue at the edge and tended to be flat. My watch had a greenish hue and was curved towards the edges. She told me it was definitely not sapphire but could not confirm what type of crystal was on my watch since the crystal on my watch did not resemble the mineral crystal she had seen on other watches. On my watch the glass was thicker and seemed more robust than your basic mineral crystal.

Thursday - May 23:

After contacting my Seller seeking a refund for the fact I was not sold a Sapphire watch I decided to accept a partial refund and send the watch into a service center for crystal confirmation (since I still wasn't sure what was on the watch) and for a sapphire upgrade.

Friday - May 24:

I called a two centers. The first was the Richardson, Texas Center where I was told they did Sapphire upgrades.

The customer service reps, who you get, are NOT the techs who will be working on your watch NOR do they do the estimates. Their job is primarily to guide you thru the service process. It is important to be nice to them when you call. They may not be able to give you technical specifics or exact costs but they can give you a general idea of out-of-warranty cost as well as advice that can save you money and time. Be courteous and charm them and you will be rewarded. Be pompous and rude and the most you will hear is to mail your watch in...click...dial tone.

In the past the sapphire upgrade wasn't a popular request so they used to lump it under basic crystal replacement which was around $50. Now since sapphire is a popular service request they all were aware of the differences in pricing. Texas told me it would be around $35 for mineral to mineral replacement and around $60 for mineral to sapphire. However they didn't seem sure of sapphire supply for the Calibre 2100 and was not able to tell me until I first mailed the watch in.

The next place I called, Hurley Roberts Service Center in Atlanta, GA said they had sapphire crystals for the Calibre 2100 but the cost was $90 and up. This is why it is best to call around before shipping your watch out to any center. Some centers have better prices but have low or no stock while other centers may cost more but have lots of Sapphire in stock.

Also consider the distance from your home location to where the center is. This distance will obviously determine shipping fees and turn around time. I've used Hurley before with much satisfaction and decided to pay more and go with them. Using the Richardson Texas Center may have been much cheaper for the crystal itself but the distance from NY would have increased shipping time and cost plus it would have been a big waste of time if they did not have Sapphire in stock when they got my watch.

Saturday - June 1:

After my week long Memorial Day Holiday vacation I returned home and first thing I did was boxed up the watch in a small usps $5.95 flat rate 2-3 day priority box and sent it out. I only used the usps tracking/delivery confirmation.

I didn't insure or return-receipt/signature-confirmation it but you may want to do that. I included a short letter that I wrote over the holiday week. You don't have to do this since the forms are all on the Hurley Roberts website
    (Hurley Roberts Service - Watch Repair) for you to input the requested data, print out and send with the watch.

May 25, 2013

Dear Watch Master,

I purchased this watch on May 20th, 2013 from an online USA Citizen dealer who advertised this model, AV0030-51A, as having a Sapphire Crystal Glass.

Upon receiving the watch and visually inspecting it the glass did not appear to share the obvious properties of Sapphire as it is used on the Calibre 2100 watches.

A local jeweler inspected it without tools by comparing it to higher end Sapphire watches in her shop. She was almost certain it is not Sapphire on my watch but could not conclude whether it was Mineral Crystal glass or something else.

I would like for you to inspect and determine what Crystal glass is on this watch. If it is indeed Mineral Crystal please replace the crystal with Sapphire Crystal glass.

Sincerely,
    Delmarco

Monday - June 3:

The USPS Online Tracking showed that the package was delivered Monday afternoon.

Tuesday - June 4:

Hurley sent me an email confirming watch received and will be processed.
    The following is a status update on your watch repair.
    No response is required.

Customer:
    Delmarco
    XXXX XXXXXXX Road
    XXXXXXX NY 10514

ESTIMATE NUMBER: Sxxxxxxx7
    __________________________________________________ ______________________

Case Number Serial Number Terms Customer Name Location

E210-Txxxx8 3xxxxxx7 Prepaid xxxx xxxxxxx LOG-IN

THANK YOU FOR SENDING US YOUR WATCH.
    PLEASE ALLOW TIME FOR OUR EVALUATION
    TEAM TO PROCESS YOUR WATCH.
    YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL FOLLOW-UP
    WITHIN 12 DAYS.

Thursday - June 6:

Another email confirming watch is mineral crystal and Sapphire upgrade can be done for $135 plus $15 water test reseal and certify plus 14.65 return shipping. $165 total.

Citizen Multi-Function Man's Watch White Case & Bracelet

NOTE 1--->>> WATCH EXAMINED. MINERAL GLASS PRESENT ON YOUR WATCH.

NOTE 2 --->>> WE CAN REPLACE THE MINERAL GLASS OF YOUR WATCH WITH A SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL:

UPGRADE TO A SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL 135.00

Water Test - Reseal - and Certify 15.00

Shipping Handling & Insurance 14.65

Total Repair 164.65

NOTE 3--->>> YOU WILL NOTE THAT THE REPLACEMENT CRYSTAL IN SAPPHIRE HAS A SLIGHT PINK COLOR TO IT !

We need your authorization and payment to proceed!

THE FASTEST AND MOST SECURE WAY TO PAY:

Please go to our payment page which will link to a secure web page at: hurleyrobertsservice.com

You will receive an email confirming that your payment has gone through.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service!

We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex, Money Order or Check.

___PROCEED W/REPAIR ___RETURN UNREPAIRED
    Non Taxable 164.65
    Card#:______________________________ Taxable 0.00
    Tax 0.00
    Expiration Date:___/___ CVV2:_____*
    Signature:_________________________ Fax Form To: 1-800-3x8-8xx7
    Or Mail To:
    * CVV2 for Visa and MasterCard is the Hurley Roberts Service Co., Inc.
    3-digit number following the account 6990-C Peachtree Ind. Blvd
    number on the back of your card. Norcross, GA 30071

Friday - June 7: I sent payment in for repairs using the PayPal option thru their website.

Jun 7, 2013 11:31:29 PDT
    Transaction ID:xxxxxxxxxxx
    Hello Delmarco,

You sent a payment of $164.65 USD to Hurley Roberts Service Co. Inc.
    ([email protected])

Merchant
    Hurley Roberts Service Co. Inc.
    [email protected]

Instructions to merchant
    Payment for ESTIMATE NUMBER:Bxxxxxxx Sapphire Crystal installation on Citizen Calibre 2100 E210-Txxxxx6 xxxxxxxxx Watch. Thanks, Delmarco
    Shipping address - confirmed
    Delmarco
    xxx xxxxxxxxxx road
    xxxxxxxx ny 10514
    United States
    Shipping details
    The seller hasn’t provided any shipping details yet.

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

Description: Unit price
    Qty Amount
    Approve and Pay for Your Repair
    Item# Watch Repair , Estimate Number: Bxxxxxxx
    $164.65 USD 1 $164.65 USD
    Subtotal $164.65 USD
    Total $164.65 USD
    Payment $164.65 USD
    Charge will appear on your credit card statement as "PAYPAL *WATCHREPAIR"
    Payment sent to [email protected]

I also emailed them requesting an unusual favor (note how quick and friendly their email responses are):

EMAIL SENT: Watch Repair Estimate xxxxx From Hurley Roberts Service
    June 7th 2013
    2:37 PM (6 hours ago)

Thanks David,

I just sent my Paypal payment for everything.

The watch master can go ahead and replace the mineral crystal with the new sapphire.

Is there any chance I can get the original mineral crystal glass shipped back with the newly Sapphired watch?
    Just to keep it as a souvenir.
    Cheers,

Delmarco

__________________________________________________ ______

EMAIL RECEIVED: Watch Repair Estimate xxxxx From Hurley Roberts Service
    June 7th, 2013
    4:00 PM (5 hours ago)

Hello Delmarco,
    yes we did receive your payment via PayPal, thank you.

I will make that request to the watchmaker, that will be no problem at all.
    This assumes it does not break when they remove it.
    That rarely happens but it is a possibility.

Have a great weekend!
    Mark

Monday - June 17: I got an email saying watch was shipped out to me.

CBS / Hurley Roberts Service has sent you a package

This message was sent to you to notify you that they have shipped a package to you. For details about your shipment or to track your package, please refer to the information below.
    Shipment Details
    Shipped To: Delmarco
    xxx xxxxxxxxxx Road
    xxxxxxxx NY 10514
    Mailing Date: 6/17/2013
    Est. Delivery: 1-3 days
    Service: First Class (R)
    Signature: Not Required
    Tracking: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The shipment information contained in this email is provided by Stamps.com.
    For questions about this package, please contact CBS / Hurley Roberts Service or the U.S. Postal Service.

Wednesday - June 19: I came home from work very pleased to find this on my front porch:

Paper stuffing inside box:

Big moment (drum roll):

In the box:

Receipt stapled to watch.

It is a beauty!

They even returned my original mineral crystal as requested.

I'm enjoying this watch! The Sapphire DOES make a difference! The work was excellent. I was worried that my new watch may have been scuffed up or damaged but Hurley's watch technicians were professional and my watch returned to me in the same brand new condition in which I sent it to them.

They also include the reciepts in case anything goes wrong with the work in the future and their work is warranted as well.

Last edited by Delmarco; June 26th, 2013 at 18:58.
    ChiefWahoo, nunhgrader and freq019 like this.
    Watches Omega Speedmaster 3520.50 - SEIKO 5 SNZF15J1 Pepsi Diver - Orient Bambino V2
    Casio Pathfinder PAW1100T Tissot Le Locle T41142333

Re: Citizen Watch Upgraded To Sapphire Crystal - Hurley Roberts Service Review (Pictures)

Thanks for the nice write out. Enjoy the new sapphire.
    Like me ! Like me !

Visit my BLOG.

Re: Citizen Watch Upgraded To Sapphire Crystal - Hurley Roberts Service Review (Pictures)

Pricey, but what a nice step up in appearance!
    Looking at the pressure-test report, did they test it only to 3 bar? Seems low for a 20 bar rated case.

Josh
    Thank you, I'm flattered, but, please don't click any "Likes" for me (unless there's a prize for "most likes")?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can we please get a detailed report?

haha. Just kidding!

Great write up and organizational skills!

Quote Originally Posted by truman3 View Post
    Can we please get a detailed report?

haha. Just kidding!

Great write up and organizational skills!
    LOL.

Thanks.

Yeah I had to do this. There was too many questions that was never answered clearly about Sapphire upgrades for Citizen watches on the forum over the years.
    skyhawk21 likes this.
    Watches Omega Speedmaster 3520.50 - SEIKO 5 SNZF15J1 Pepsi Diver - Orient Bambino V2
    Casio Pathfinder PAW1100T Tissot Le Locle T41142333

That is a pretty Watch.. Here's my Citizen Pro-master SST!Name:  Promaster SST  Ra.jpg
Views: 16528
Size:  69.9 KB
    Last edited by skyhawk21; December 18th, 2013 at 03:42.
    Delmarco likes this.

Re: Upgrade Your Citizen Watch To Sapphire Crystal - Hurley Roberts Service Review (Pictures)

Here is something I wanted to add that I got just today... Have a Look and enjoy Hawk21

I wanted to add:
    by removing the Original Band and swapping it with my Titanium it Gave the Watch some added Flare and dropped it a few ounces in weight far as Know it's ok to mix the stainless steel with the Titanium) I know meshing steel and Aluminum can cause issues but I don't think or hope this will happen with this here

Name:  515 Skyhawk Stain- Titanium 2.jpg
Views: 16488
Size:  57.1 KB
    Last edited by skyhawk21; December 18th, 2013 at 04:30.
    ma678 likes this.

Re: Upgrade Your Citizen Watch To Sapphire Crystal - Hurley Roberts Service Review (Pictures)

Hi,
    I am not sure if it is OK to post my own crystal query here:

I have an ORIENT STAR WZ0021EJ. It is a great looking watch, however the crystal has a lot of glare
    to it especially bad in artificial lights. Is it possible to find a replacement Sapphire crystal that has
    AR coating on the inside?

Thank you.

Name:  02.jpg
Views: 5328
Size:  102.2 KB

My office is very close to the only service center in Canada. I am wondering if it is worth of replacing the mineral crystal on my 10-year-old Skyhawk. If the battery lasts another 10 years or more, probably it will be a better investment.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Citizen original sapphire not up to par with Seiko. why? cheapo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information