Why are watches and watch collecting popular? And not just watches, other thing also!

Thread: Why are watches and watch collecting popular? And not just watches, other thing also!

California for now, leaving as soon as possible!!!

Why are watches and watch collecting popular? And not just watches, other thing also!

I just wanted to find out what make a person collect things like watches, model airplanes, model trains, cars, ETC. I've been flying RC and control-line planes for 55 yrs and just got back into watches after retiring from 35 yrs of auto body where rings, watches and the like were a hindrance to the job. I've always had a love for timepieces but didn't want nice ones because I would get them all tore up. I've had Seiko's, Armitrons, and the typical Timex's. When I got back into watches I started with a couple Invicta's and a Citizen Signature perpetual calender. I use it as a reference for all my other watches.
    I may be getting in deep but is there a point to where it is collecting or hoarding? I've got 43 RC and u-control planes ( of which 25 of them I don't fly now). I have about 25 watches, some I wear every other day and others I may wear once every other month. Is it a status thing to show off what we have accomplished or is it for our own edification? I'm not into the Rolex's, Patek's and the like as I don't like autos. They are beautiful but like a beautiful women they need alot of attention to keep wound up and maintained. I fell in love with Citizen Eco-drives because they are sturdy, nice looking and never need a battery or to be wound up. I have 1 auto and hate it for 2 reasons, its a skeleton and can't see the hands because of the complexity of the workings and having to always keep it wound or I have to go through the ritual of winding it up and resetting the time via my Citizen. I hope this translates to what i'm thinking about. Let me know, Thanks

Re: Why are watches and watch collecting popular? And not just watches, other thing also!

I cannot answer why I collect things, I suppose it is the appreciation of the workmanship involved in the manufacture of a piece of precision machinery. Whether it is a watch or a rifle or pistol or a revolver (I used to collect firearms before that became impossible in this drab, sad little country)

Ard

Re: Why are watches and watch collecting popular? And not just watches, other thing also!

Hi,

True that there is a thin line between collecting and hoarding but only you can decide how you will proceed. I have binged I woke up at one time and discovered that I had 15 watches and one wrist. Now I have 3............. until tomorrow because I bought one.

Get an idea of what you like then get some good ones, that will help limit the numbers.

Ard

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've thought about this a lot. What happens when you surpass the point of utility in an item (i.e. I have one watch that tells time, why do I need 3 or 4 other watches or 10 watches, etc)? I think there are two primary reasons:

1) We get bored easily nowadays. Think about how much excess time we have to surf the internet, watch tv, etc. 100 years ago, you did not have this ultra easy access to knowledge/information/consumerism/etc. So, we get bored and we start looking into things, say watches, and one thing leads to another and you find yourself all of a sudden with 10 watches because they are an extension of the massive amount of time and thought you spent while bored! "It's something to do"

2) Watches, or any other "refined niche" hobby is a symbol of our choices. For instance, if you have $5k and you plan to spend it on a watch, you have freedom to choose from thousands of watches within in your budget. And your own personal goal is to maximize it's personal value to yourself (i.e. I want a watch that is both flashy and mechanical or I want a watch that can withstand a nuclear apocolypse!). In the end the watch is not something merely on your wrist that tells time, but a symbol of the refined choice you've made that's taken you countless hours to whittle down!

Thread Information