General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project - Page 19
Like Tree926Likes

Thread: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 ... LastLast
    white/cream bezel with the azure dial look cheap .
    gjclayton likes this.

Re: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

I'm not fun of white or cream. it is good for the readability but aesthetically it makes a break too big with the color of the dial which seems then very small

In my own opinion I think we need something a bit more radical in the way of design colour schemes for this project.
    My reasoning for this is,the building block aproach seems to be steering the aestetics down a narrowing avenue of colour choices. Which seems to be detrimental to a successful outcome
    This watch could be something pretty special if we steer well away from this "Seiko Alpinist" clone thang.
    Project Elbrus needs to be something that has a purely Russian style and feel.
    I'm sorry for having to voice this but I don't want this project to become something that is just ok and safe....I would rather it becomes something different to what has gone before
    Danilao and Dub Rubb like this.
    Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. ~Carl Sandburg

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Douplo post...grrrr!
    Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. ~Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by joecool View Post
    In my own opinion I think we need something a bit more radical in the way of design colour schemes for this project.
    My reasoning for this is,the building block aproach seems to be steering the aestetics down a narrowing avenue of colour choices. Which seems to be detrimental to a successful outcome
    This watch could be something pretty special if we steer well away from this "Seiko Alpinist" clone thang.
    I'm sorry for having to voice this but I don't want this project to become something that is just ok and safe....I would rather it becomes something different to what has gone before
    ...and what is your definition of something uniquely Russian, as pertaining to this particular watch?
    (I'm not being snarky, I am genuinely curious...because as I see it, we've moved quite a bit away from the Alpinist look)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    armanh and PanKorop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by joecool View Post
    What do you suggest as a solution? That's what this thread is for.

The problem is that there’s no particular design element or color scheme that’s “uniquely” Russian. The distinctive thing about russian watches is their bold, visually striking aesthetics, but that can sometimes be in the form of numerals, markers, case design rather than color scheme. Color features like sunbursts or sharp contrasts (eg neon orange on navy) are probably more common in Russian watches but they’re far from unknown in Japanese horological too. Only when you see them on a Japanese watch it’s still...Japanese.

I do slightly share the concern that if we pick design items one at a time we end up with the median choice on each. Once we’ve picked the bezel color - and I’m hoping we don’t go with a ‘safe’ choice like white or cream, personally - we are still left with the color and shape of the hour markers, the compass hands, the time hands, numerals, etc. I would suggest that at that point we work up a few complete sets of palettes and shapes to pick from, so that we can guage the overall ‘Russianness’.

I personally liked some of the early discussion around the dial color referencing the theme - mount Elbrus - the dial being the clear blue sky of the caucuses. That suggests one set of colors - the sky, the snow, the earth, for instance. There are probably a few other sets we could develop depending on the bezel color choice.
    Danilao, Palpatine and 103ssv like this.

I´d agree on the Something-Unique-Approach but i have the Fear that this uniqueness may prohibitive for reaching the minimal Order Quantity.
    I honestly like the direction these Polls are heading.
    PanKorop likes this.

I'll be honest, I was really hoping we would end up with something very closely resembling joecool's mock up, which had a great combination of colours representing sunset on Elbrus

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/pr...l#post46052607

But it will be interesting where the "law of averages" takes us.

Name:  npCzeYA.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  52.0 KB

Indeed it is interesting to make a selection Gaussian on the aesthetics of each element but ultimately the overall result may surprise. Why not subject the model from elementary votes to a final vote opposing it to radical proposals like that of joe cool

Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 ... LastLast

Thread Information