General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project - Page 20
Like Tree926Likes

Thread: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Page 20 of 85 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 70 ... LastLast

Re: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

My two-bits on a couple numbering traditions, which can affect the balance and legibility of dial or bezel markings.

1) Degrees indications on proper navigational compasses have three digits, i.e. 030, 060, 090, 120...
    This may also help improve legibility, for one can’t confise three digits numbers with a time.

2) In military parlance, but also in civil aviation, railroads, etc. the hour is expressed with two digits. It helps avoiding confusing 03 (h) with 3pm. So, I believe the proper way to mark a 24h scale should be 01, 02, 03... 24.
    Name:  8558CAD6-5CAD-4606-99A9-8CFE8CA1D5F9.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  532.8 KB
    Btw (off-topic) this is one of my orientation watch projects. The mechanism is a 24h, with the date hidden. The dial is “Vo-stock”: pity it immediately lost a lume pip (Meranom said “oh? well, just glue it back...), and design-wise it could have the 5 min mark as 05.
    What it really needs now is a red long hour hand (like on dual-time SE series of recent years, or better — the compass needle of this current forum project!) for better readability of the hour. The bezel is a quite unique one by Pers(idsky); it is not meant for an easy GMT function, but for quick orientation, hence the 12 on top, and red fillings for NSEW.

Quote Originally Posted by Palpatine View Post
    Indeed it is interesting to make a selection Gaussian on the aesthetics of each element but ultimately the overall result may surprise. Why not subject the model from elementary votes to a final vote opposing it to radical proposals like that of joe cool
    On the Sixth Day, He got help from the angels to create all animals living, as it was some bit of a task to do it alone. As the team was quite disciplined, they all came up at 5pm sharp with their projects, and He saw it was ok, given the deadline. Well, one group did come a bit late, and presented but one animal: “sorry, boss, it took some extra time for our vote, as it was a collaborative project”.
    A surprise indeed: the duckbilled platypus.

So, the Gaussian bandwagon is ok with me, if it fills the minimal order. Just hope it won’t lose on the way its bold, holistic original intent, and end up a kolkhozian platypus.

Quote Originally Posted by mariomart View Post
    I'll be honest, I was really hoping we would end up with something very closely resembling joecool's mock up, which had a great combination of colours representing sunset on Elbrus
    I generally agree as there was a consistent, pretty original statement.
    With imho two flaws:
    1) Bronze PVD. Not exactly a tool watch choice. Bronze I would have loved. I could agree with titanium nitride, too. Otherwise, I prefer the Elbrus glacier — azure on steel — we seem to have agreed upon.
    2) The sunset, or dawn, are the precise periods when a compass watch is either unusable or most likely to be dangerously off route.

(I learnt #2 the hard way, some forty-odd years ago in bootcamp. Now, the rest of the platoon, relying only their magnetic compasses walked even longer as the shrewd lieutenant had us started close to a high voltage line, hidden from view by dense fir...)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm struggling to understand all your expectations here. Obviously Vostoks are widely known for a variety of colors and depictions, but the remaining visually iconic Russian models seem to come down to a select few like the Big Zero or Okean. (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/mo...4730985-3.html) We had several project proposals utilizing other unique ideas that come out of the region like Elektronika, Zvezda, and Poljot's diver, but in the end a majority were interested in my design, which at the time was a modest cream dial and bezel.
    Looking at my image back a couple pages with bright blue dial, starkly contrasted bezel (if it wins), additional pops of color from the bezel markings and compass hand, and particularly sharp hands and indices, I consider that very distinctive. This is also aside from the additional Russian inspiration currently being used: the compass itself, and Poljus design elements. Perhaps this is inevitably a compromise between the two extremes of the design spectrum, but just as two dive watches can share features while still being distinct, I assert we now have two mountaineering watches that are quite distinct.

While I do also enjoy Joecool's "sunset" idea, I indeed have concerns about the MOQ. I'm trying to think of what is best for the project as a whole and how to systematically approach it. I wanted to take a step back and start from scratch, and the dial color is the largest piece of the design behind that. I did my best trying to demonstrate each choice among complementary details like hand and index color or strap so we can get better a sense of what each end product could look like, but leaving too much of the design out of the question, or bundling too much of it together, impairs participation from those joining us, leaving only boring details to discuss like which logo to use.

By all means continue to post your ideas either drawn or well described, but wistful longing doesn't help me.

Meanwhile, I have been studiously working.

Name:  hands.png
Views: 67
Size:  42.7 KBName:  logo.png
Views: 105
Size:  29.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    I'm struggling to understand all your expectations here
    I'm still very much happy with the direction and selections so far Arizone, and your management has been perfection I understand the importance of group decisions and I am in no way contemplating leaving the project.

There was just something about the warmness of the bronze mockup.

I'm sure the end result will be spectacular and will be loved by myself and the others.

Keep up the great work :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    What do you suggest as a solution? That's what this thread is for.
    I don't have a soloution.....but I do have an idea for method
    I think the function of the Elbrus will ultimately determine the form that the project colour scheme should eventually take.
    If it is to be a tool watch with a lot of information and markings on the bezel/outer dial,then contrasting colours have to be a major consideration,just from a legibility standpoint anyway
    If it is to be an aesthetically driven project,a complementary colour palette then becomes the prime force behind the design.
    This question of which route we are heading needs to be nailed down before colour choice is fixed.
    As for the Russification aspect,if it is to be a tool watch design(which I personally hope). true legibility and functionality will achieve such an outcome anyway.

I apologise if my previous post was interpreted in anyway a criticism of the project so far.
    I merely wanted to open up more of a discussion of what we are ultimitely aiming for here

And I very much value all the time, effort and skills you are investing in Project Elbrus comrade Arizone
    Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. ~Carl Sandburg

Guys, something just came up and I think it must be doable taking the design ideas of the Elbrus project in account. What about the idea of using the comressor limited case? it has two crowns, it can hold a 24h movement, has a rotating inner bezel and last but not least, it has a serious Russification factor... The comressor case with sandblasted finish will also have a tool-ish look.
    Just an idea that came to mind and which I wanted to share with you.
    Last edited by Marijn2; July 29th, 2018 at 14:06.

You might have missed it but "The watch will based on the existing Vostok Komandirskie K-34"

So we´re using it already from Day 1 and IMHO it´s the better Choice over the Compresor
    PanKorop likes this.

Great idea IMHO. The case itself has a more compassy look than the K34 case.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Kraut View Post
    You might have missed it but "The watch will based on the existing Vostok Komandirskie K-34"

So we´re using it already from Day 1 and IMHO it´s the better Choice over the Compresor
    Hi Uncle Kraut, No I did not miss it of course, but it was an idea that came to mind and if you ask me the comressor case is a rather unique case which can take the Elbrus project away of being too much of an alpinist look a like. I have the idea that actually the comressor is a rather suitable case for the project since it can house al the previous design ideas..
    IMHO it also look way better than a K34 ;)

Page 20 of 85 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 70 ... LastLast

Thread Information