General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project - Page 21
Like Tree926Likes

Thread: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Page 21 of 85 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 71 ... LastLast

Re: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Quote Originally Posted by Uros TSI View Post
    Great idea IMHO. The case itself has a more compassy look than the K34 case.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I think so too indeed. Also the classic look of the compressor case may be an appealing factor for those who love the classic Vostok designs in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post

Meanwhile, I have been studiously working.

I´ve been browsing Meranom and think these Hands could be considered too because they seem to be available without too much Effort?
    Attached Images Attached Images

hseldon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joecool View Post
    I don't have a soloution.....but I do have an idea for method
    I think the function of the Elbrus will ultimately determine the form that the project colour scheme should eventually take.
    If it is to be a tool watch with a lot of information and markings on the bezel/outer dial,then contrasting colours have to be a major consideration,just from a legibility standpoint anyway
    If it is to be an aesthetically driven project,a complementary colour palette then becomes the prime force behind the design.
    This question of which route we are heading needs to be nailed down before colour choice is fixed.
    As for the Russification aspect,if it is to be a tool watch design(which I personally hope). true legibility and functionality will achieve such an outcome anyway.

I apologise if my previous post was interpreted in anyway a criticism of the project so far.
    I merely wanted to open up more of a discussion of what we are ultimitely aiming for here

And I very much value all the time, effort and skills you are investing in Project Elbrus comrade Arizone
    I can’t see how it could not be a tool watch. The striking design of Russian watches is in large part a result of them being tool watches (and requiring high legibility).

We might be overthinking things at this stage. In terms of design we have only locked down the azure dial so far, and will shortly also have the bezel color. Even if it’s white, which I hope it’s not, there’s still plenty of options from those two choices that get us to a great watch. It may be worth though thinking about how we sort through those options, whether we look at them sequentially or try to assemble some thematic concepts to compare

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm struggling to understand all your expectations here. Obviously Vostoks are widely known for a variety of colors and depictions, but the remaining visually iconic Russian models seem to come down to a select few like the Big Zero or Okean. (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/mo...4730985-3.html) We had several project proposals utilizing other unique ideas that come out of the region like Elektronika, Zvezda, and Poljot's diver, but in the end a majority were interested in my design, which at the time was a modest cream dial and bezel.
    Looking at my image back a couple pages with bright blue dial, starkly contrasted bezel (if it wins), additional pops of color from the bezel markings and compass hand, and particularly sharp hands and indices, I consider that very distinctive. This is also aside from the additional Russian inspiration currently being used: the compass itself, and Poljus design elements. Perhaps this is inevitably a compromise between the two extremes of the design spectrum, but just as two dive watches can share features while still being distinct, I assert we now have two mountaineering watches that are quite distinct.

While I do also enjoy Joecool's "sunset" idea, I indeed have concerns about the MOQ. I'm trying to think of what is best for the project as a whole and how to systematically approach it. I wanted to take a step back and start from scratch, and the dial color is the largest piece of the design behind that. I did my best trying to demonstrate each choice among complementary details like hand and index color or strap so we can get better a sense of what each end product could look like, but leaving too much of the design out of the question, or bundling too much of it together, impairs participation from those joining us, leaving only boring details to discuss like which logo to use.

By all means continue to post your ideas either drawn or well described, but wistful longing doesn't help me.

Meanwhile, I have been studiously working.

Attachment 13345293Attachment 13345295
    The last couple of rows’ hands look great. The ones at the top with the stars etc may make the dial a bit busy, since there will be five hands in circulation (minute hour 24-hr and the two compass hands)

Reflecting on this - this is also a good argument against a white bezel. If the hands have lume then they will be white in daylight. So the color scheme basically defaults to blue and white with a bit of red script here and there. That feels too conservative to be a Russian tool watch
    Danilao likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marijn2 View Post
    Guys, something just came up and I think it must be doable taking the design ideas of the Elbrus project in account. What about the idea of using the comressor limited case? it has two crowns, it can hold a 24h movement, has a rotating inner bezel and last but not least, it has a serious Russification factor... The comressor case with sandblasted finish will also have a tool-ish look.
    Just an idea that came to mind and which I wanted to share with you.
    Name:  compressor_DEF.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  54.2 KB

My photoshop skills are not great but I tried to visualise the idea. Also the position of the crown will make it easier to set the compass hand with the watch on the wrist

Having only just bought the project Vostok Compressor remake, I personally wouldn't want another piece with that case so soon. To the best of my knowledge no project watch has yet utilised the K34? The K34 case is one of the main features which attracted me to this project, and I have assumed that this feature was settled. Alas, if the project were to go in the direction of the Compressor, I would have to pull out. It may be that the Compressor case might attract more people? If so, I will wish the project good luck and go in peace... But I suggest if enough people are for it then it goes to a vote...

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
    joecool and Danilao like this.

Quote Originally Posted by joecool View Post
    I don't have a soloution.....but I do have an idea for method
    I think the function of the Elbrus will ultimately determine the form that the project colour scheme should eventually take.
    If it is to be a tool watch with a lot of information and markings on the bezel/outer dial,then contrasting colours have to be a major consideration,just from a legibility standpoint anyway
    If it is to be an aesthetically driven project,a complementary colour palette then becomes the prime force behind the design.
    This question of which route we are heading needs to be nailed down before colour choice is fixed.
    These are still only vague ideas. By choosing the bezel color people are already implying they want a more conservative or outstanding design. Perhaps if I had generated two thoroughly opposing examples rather than a single middle-ground jumping off point in the beginning we'd see different results, but again I didn't want too much of the design to be seen as rigid. The recent Alpinist is seen as both functional and classy, and thus an excellent example to follow while allowing plenty of flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Marijn2 View Post
    Guys, something just came up and I think it must be doable taking the design ideas of the Elbrus project in account. What about the idea of using the comressor limited case? it has two crowns, it can hold a 24h movement, has a rotating inner bezel and last but not least, it has a serious Russification factor... The comressor case with sandblasted finish will also have a tool-ish look.
    Just an idea that came to mind and which I wanted to share with you.
    I did think of this before, but we have no idea if the Compressor case can actually accommodate the 24 hour hand and seconds hand. The GMT SE models have a subdial for this reason, they're not tall enough, which conflicts with our movement vote. I also don't see how the Compressor case, which scarcely even exists in Russia, is seen as "Russian" and not, as the name implies, a Swiss Ervin Piquerez S.A. patented Super Compressor.

Regardless, you are forgetting the K-34 case is based on the classic brass '34' Komandirskie case, which is why I consider it excellent for a Russian mountaineering watch.

These are still only vague ideas. By choosing the bezel color people are already implying they want a more conservative or outstanding design. Perhaps if I had generated two thoroughly opposing examples rather than a single middle-ground jumping off point in the beginning we'd see different results, but again I didn't want too much of the design to be seen as rigid. The recent Alpinist is seen as both functional and classy, and thus an excellent example to follow while allowing plenty of flexibility.

I did think of this before, but we have no idea if the Compressor case can actually accommodate the 24 hour hand and seconds hand. The GMT SE models have a subdial for this reason, they're not tall enough, which conflicts with our movement vote. I also don't see how the Compressor case, which scarcely even exists in Russia, is seen as "Russian" and not, as the name implies, a Swiss Ervin Piquerez S.A. patented Super Compressor.

Regardless, you are forgetting the K-34 case is based on the classic brass '34' Komandirskie case, which is why I consider it excellent for a Russian mountaineering watch.
    It was just an idea that came to mind ;) We could ask Meranom about the possibilities right? The new K34 case might have been inspired by the vintage one on paper, but in real life it is nowhere near the vintage case as it comes to looks and cool factor.
    But no mather what, I really like what you are doing for the project! No question about that.

I think we already have voted about the style and model.

Compressor case is absolutely new direction. I also have a Vostok's Compressor reissue, and wouldn't go for another.

Regards, Miro.
    PanKorop and Chascomm like this.

Is anyone keeping track of where we stand on the bezel color poll? Is a winner emerging?

Page 21 of 85 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 71 ... LastLast

Thread Information