General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project - Page 24
Like Tree926Likes

Thread: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Page 24 of 85 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hseldon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    These logos are looking cool Arizone. I particularly like 5 & 6. Might have to see them all on a dial to choose a favourite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree, the logos No.5&6 from the left are super cool.
    Marijn2 likes this.

Re: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Quote Originally Posted by Danilao View Post
    double intriguing idea
    Not to push for a de facto intri-fecta,
    and only if this honourable committee will grant licence of use of this compass to seafarers,
    may I suggest to label its depth rating as:

100 саж.

The sajen is, of course, the Russian equivalent to the fathom, and the marine sajen adopted the exact same value of 6ft.
    Who needs Blanc pain, when got good old rye Black bread?

Name:  400px-Obsolete_Russian_units_of_length_-_ru.svg.png
Views: 67
Size:  56.5 KB
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 4th, 2018 at 09:38.

I'd say 80 саж.

Now we just need to find someone proposing a traditional time scale using a fraction or multiple of hours (preferably with decimals) and we'll get a totally useless but soooo Russian watch 😄

Actually I support your propos
    PanKorop likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thewatchadude View Post
    I'd say 80 саж.

Now we just need to find someone proposing a traditional time scale using a fraction or multiple of hours (preferably with decimals) and we'll get a totally useless but soooo Russian watch 😄

Actually I support your propos
    I’ll up your stake: whether in the trad. sajen pictured above (arm-spread) or modern marine sajen, it rounds up to 110 for 200m.
    This said, I call for 100: if provoked in a peeing-in-water contest, I’d rather double the claim of the original Blancpain (50 fm) than of its Seiko mod Fifty-Five look-alikes.

Oops, my bad, you right! 🤭 This is not an Amphibia, but a «* Komandirskie *» (so happy “our” won’t have these sergeant/Chevy stripes...) so rated 10 atm. Landlubber... So, if not better than Blancpain, 50 or 55 fm? Should we vote? Let’s vote whether we should, first

Btw, I love that illustration I fished in Wikimedia commons: it’s brilliantly informative, but so Leonardovitch Code!

Re the odd time scale, I suggested elsewhere to use either runic or glagolitic numbers
    Which I’ll quite seriously follow-up for a Luch project next year...
    You could also use a geek scale, with hex numbers to 24, or binary, with 2,two-square for 4... 8,16. No more, no less goofy than a California dial, btw.
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 4th, 2018 at 20:44. Reason: Oopsie added in italics

Hi Comrades, do we also need to have a vote for a crystal type (mineral or sapphire)?
    Personally I have decided to drop out if the watch lacks a sapphire. The lack of a sapphire for such a nice project watch would be a big mistake in my opinion. I would not mind the extra cost for if can be around €50 (which I believe should be possible). Better have total and complete watch than something that is forced to be kept under a certain price level and has a mineral full of awfull scratches after one year of daily use.
    I wonder what you al think about it, and as said before, I think this should go to vote also in a early stage. just as case color, dial color etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marijn2 View Post
    Hi Comrades, do we also need to have a vote for a crystal type (mineral or sapphire)?
    Personally I have decided to drop out if the watch lacks a sapphire. The lack of a sapphire for such a nice project watch would be a big mistake in my opinion. I would not mind the extra cost for if can be around €50 (which I believe should be possible). Better have total and complete watch than something that is forced to be kept under a certain price level and has a mineral full of awfull scratches after one year of daily use.
    I wonder what you al think about it, and as said before, I think this should go to vote also in a early stage. just as case color, dial color etc.
    Hi, Citizen. I gather you don’t like the case, don’t like the glass (as yes, mineral it is, like on most Seiko)... At least, you like the dial so far. Right? Please understand me: yours are perfectly defendable opinions, but don’t they come a bit late? Price range is not a small factor; we’re talked from the outset of $150ish, similar to a Meranom SE, or other watches in this case. Hiking the “membership fee” to $200+ will limit the membership. Welcome to Diogenes Club ;)
    It seems the very early stages — case, general idea, price objective and yes! design statement/bias — have been dealt with.
    There are always many reasons not to do something, or to stall a project. If this car comes with an ashtray, I’m out. Is the watchband vegan? Hope the main spring is made in Russia, else it’s a deal-breaker...
    For instance, I’d personally prefer a Plexiglas or Hesalite to any “sapphire” (except a star sapphire!). And a hacking movement. Hand-wound. And a 40mm case. Etc.
    I agree with you: glass not my first choice. Yet I go along with the project, the way it turns out, with the whole kolkhoz or kibbutz voting. Collective decisions, or normal, time-proven diplomacy, always mean some kind of give-away. But at least they get something done.

I’ve never seen a perfect man-made object. Oriental craftsmen even purposely build in some flaw, preferably visible, just to prove than they don’t pursue the vain folly of perfectionism.

Now, back to the Elbrus, if I ever change my mind and want a harder (or softer) window, after many scratches and a laze to rub in some diamond polishing pastes, I can always go to a watchmaker and have it changed for sapphire. Or plexi, for all it costs. I doubt I’ll do it, though: wearing a shining new, unscathed “field” watch is like a brand new out of the shelf pair of dungarees with pressed and starched folds. Kinda greenhorn.
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 4th, 2018 at 17:41.

Slate is definitely the winner here!
    Of 55 votes today: 38 slate, 13 cream, and 4 white. Only 9 people voted for both light options over the darker slate, quite contrary to the previous vote.
    With slate winning I have put together some more ideation for discussion. I would like to bring attention to the bezel markings now that the base color is set. On the far right you can see the original design with cardinal directions and degrees, while on the far left you can see the degrees replaced with 24 hour markings as requested. In the middle you can see a further hybridized option.

On the dial I changed to subsecond markings around the perimeter of the dial, which I think complements the heavier bezel designs. I changed the 12 index to 0, for more Russian feel, maybe. The silly Boctok logo to the right, as suggested, and then bringing the Elbrus logo to the top center. Simpler hands, although I have all previously shown options ready as well. Finally, along the bottom are a few other accent color options. Again, this is ideation for discussion, nothing set in stone.

Name:  bezel2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  543.9 KB

Lets do degrees! Looks nice the rightmost one.

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post
    Hi, Citizen. I gather you don’t like the case, don’t like the glass (as yes, mineral it is, like on most Seiko)... At least, you like the dial so far. Right? Please understand me: yours are perfectly defendable opinions, but don’t they come a bit late? Price range is not a small factor; we’re talked from the outset of $150ish, similar to a Meranom SE, or other watches in this case. Hiking the “membership fee” to $200+ will limit the membership. Welcome to Diogenes Club ;)
    It seems the very early stages — case, general idea, price objective and yes! design statement/bias — have been dealt with.
    There are always many reasons not to do something, or to stall a project. If this car comes with an ashtray, I’m out. Is the watchband vegan? Hope the main spring is made in Russia, else it’s a deal-breaker...
    For instance, I’d personally prefer a Plexiglas or Hesalite to any “sapphire” (except a star sapphire!). And a hacking movement. Hand-wound. And a 40mm case. Etc.
    I agree with you: glass not my first choice. Yet I go along with the project, the way it turns out, with the whole kolkhoz or kibbutz voting. Collective decisions, or normal, time-proven diplomacy, always mean some kind of give-away. But at least they get something done.

I’ve never seen a perfect man-made object. Oriental craftsmen even purposely build in some flaw, preferably visible, just to prove than they don’t pursue the vain folly of perfectionism.

Now, back to the Elbrus, if I ever change my mind and want a harder (or softer) window, after many scratches and a laze to rub in some diamond polishing pastes, I can always go to a watchmaker and have it changed for sapphire. Or plexi, for all it costs. I doubt I’ll do it, though: wearing a shining new, unscathed “field” watch is like a brand new out of the shelf pair of dungarees with pressed and starched folds. Kinda greenhorn.
    Hi Pankorop, I already mentioned adding a sapphire on page two......Then I mentioned it again on page three. and then afterwards it has been mentioned a few times more. Maybe you did not see the posts. Then Arizone answered in a post: I will consider it but it's a significant cost increase that I'm not comfortable pushing onto everyone as of yet.
    Indeed I like a dual crown case better over the K34, but I can settle with the K34 instead as being a nice watch. I just like to see a sapphire added. the lack of a sapphire and the choise for a bronze PVD case would be dealbreakers for me. You just cannot say that every design stage had been dealt with because it just has not, right? it is still open according to Arizones reply. that is why I raised it again.
    Why not just have a simple vote over this one? I do not get it actually. I think adding a sapphire can be done at the $200 dollar price point for the total finished watch, just as Citizen can or any other Seiko can........And indeed I would like a plexi/hexalite even better but that would not be possible on the K34 I quess??
    Have a nice day,
    Marijn

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Marijn2; August 5th, 2018 at 11:30.

Again, this is ideation for discussion, nothing set in stone.
    C’mon! Not even the bezel colour? Are you trying to deligitimize the popular landslide for B. Slate vs B. Creamwhite?

Seriously, what a work! Thanks. And I like the top 0!

For the bezels, the strange thing here is that the double scales (2,3) while busier, are not less legible, with the same char sizes. So I like design 3 best.

I would like #1 too, but on 2,3 you made the N (C) stand out, and in #3 the only red marking. It makes it relate directly to the compass hand (also useful to cucinare i ravioli).

However, on #3, since you went for a 0 dial top, I’d prefer a large red triangle index without lettering.
    I also insist I’d rather have the 15, 30, 60 bearings in three digits (015, 030, 060) to avoid confusion with a minutes scale.

Of course I like the silly Востоk, but it appears a bit too lean. I understand you sized it after the 3 o’ index opposite, but visually it doesn’t appear balanced: size fits, not the “volume” of white.

Finally: the hands.
    1) thinner hour, minute — why not. It may help lean down a rather “rich” layout. Maybe a tad undistinctive to me, but ok.
    2) thinner compass hand, I don’t know: here I preferred the original bolder one. Compasses have a thick hand.
    3) the seconds hand bothers me; I’d prefer a needle style, more consistent with the hour and minute. As shown here, it also seems to point directly at the 24h/bearing bezel, not the seconds. Its bold arrow tip also defeats the thin subscale.
    Maybe it confuses only me as resembling too much the 24h hand on Vostok's “GMT” (which I confess to hoard)?
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 5th, 2018 at 11:02.
    Chascomm likes this.

Page 24 of 85 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 ... LastLast

Thread Information