General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project - Page 35
Like Tree926Likes

Thread: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Page 35 of 85 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Re: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

You’re perfectly right. And so is joecool.

And I am shamefully wrong for the S. hemisphere reading.

One still has to use the opposite end of the “compass hand” (say, the blue one), but it will indicate the north, while the “0” writing (12 o’clock of a standard dial) is to be pointed at the sun. Good it seems we agreed to make it a zero, less confusing for that use.

This implies that, to get complete bearing readings, you have to rotate the bezel N (C cyrillic) to align with that blue tip of the “compass”.

Back to the drawing tablet, for a caseback design explicit enough for both hemispheres...
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 18th, 2018 at 01:56. Reason: Thanks for pointing to my goof!
    joecool likes this.

Just to mention - the back graphic looks amazing, but mixing Cyrillic (directions) and Latin (inscription) doesn't. I think inscriptions should be Cyrillic too...

Regards, Miro.

Quote Originally Posted by miroman View Post
    Just to mention - the back graphic looks amazing, but mixing Cyrillic (directions) and Latin (inscription) doesn't. I think inscriptions should be Cyrillic too...

Regards, Miro.
    +1

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by miroman View Post

Regards, Miro.
    Thank you, btw: it’s just a draft on the tablet. Much to be improved on.

You are 100% right: maybe using NSWE would be easier, more informative, less confusing. Now (here goes my “but” line. I warned! ) will you willingly sell out the cyrillic СЮЗВ (obscure, arcane, insiders’!) bezel on the opposite side? This for an obvious reading, so helping whoever will mug this wonder from you? For one will, as it’s an amazing WUS kolkhoz (Arizone being our unmovable, approved and acclaimed kolkhoze Prezident) project: ultimate tool watch with subtle bling! The Alpinist whacker, the Rolex bandwagon envy?

I won’t mind. Every Russian/Soviet true prof. marine compass is written NSEW, and for sea people these are called as in Dutch (roots, roots!): Норд, Зюйд (!), Ост, Вест. Them naval guys love drawing a line distinguishing themselves from landlubbers — aar!

I approve it too — as long as it keeps obscure enough!
    Man, it’s a private club project! What’s the use if we don’t get paroles, secret signals and handshakes?

Rats, guess I’ll have to correct the caseback sketch with NSEW...
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 17th, 2018 at 19:24.

Italy - Between Florence and Champs sur le Bisance

I lost myself among your learned and very interesting topographical explanations.
    I believe I will throw away all my watches and buy a real compass.

Forgive me but I would not run the risk of not finding dessert in the desert!
    armanh, PanKorop and joecool like this.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ http://russian-watches.it/ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭ 140 Watches exposed online now ☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Quote Originally Posted by Danilao View Post
    I lost myself among your learned and very interesting topographical explanations.
    I believe I will throw away all my watches and buy a real compass.

Forgive me but I would not run the risk of not finding dessert in the desert!
    Gianmarcopaolo, remember the spirit of the BoctoK! Just drink tea!

Name:  417028.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  146.5 KB

A few decades ago, when there were no GPS, and when the Dakar rally really ran Paris to Dakar, they all got “real”, i.e. magnetic, compasses. Being mostly but drivers, not plane pilots, many of them got fooled by all the magnetic interferences of their car or bike: metal mass, HT coils, etc. Plus the Sahara, and Africa generally, with its numerous ferrous sites, and magnetic anomalies. Misdirections? Up to 45º wrong headings...
    One team remembered the lesson from the British “desert rats” of WW2, roaming in German-Italian rear lines and navigating with a most elaborate solar compass. Our Elbrus won’t reach its accuracy, as it takes a new dial dor each latitude, and month of the year... That Dakar motorbike team, however, sported such solar compasses on top of their petrol tank, and whatever their mistakes, these weren’t navigational: they never drove amiss of the intended route.

So? The beauty of a good “gnomonic” watch is it may be less erroneous than a magnetic compass. This being a reason, btw, for the creation of Seiko’s Alpinist, as high mountains (and heavily loaded backpacks...) can play havoc with usual magnetic devices.
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 18th, 2018 at 01:08.
    joecool and buddhawake like this.

With humble apologies to joecool who was right all along,
    with thanks to relativetime who nailed the issue...

Yes, southern hemisphere needs to:
    1) point not a hand but the 12 (or Zero, as it seems we’re heading) of the main dial to the sun;
    2) read the blue end of the “compass” hand to get North. (Here we suppose we set the red end to read correct time on the 24h scale and point at the sun in the northern hemisphere)
    3) to get correct reading of all the bearings, rotate the bezel to align its “C” (Russian for North) with the compass hand blue tip.

Which makes a reminder back a bit more complicated, but would this do as a base?

Name:  81784B28-71B1-458C-A697-8F37BAFAE071.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  21.3 KB

Note: I understood that many would prefer it all cyrillic. I tend to think it won’t help the readability of this reminder, and that we got cyrillic aplenty already on the dial and bezel, but why not? It’s just a matter of changing the wording. Let’s see first if the sketch works graphically.
    joecool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post

1) point not a hand but the 12 (or Zero, as it seems we’re heading) of the main dial to the sun;
    2) read the blue end of the “compass” hand to get North. (Here we suppose we set the red end to read correct time on the 24h scale and point at the sun in the northern hemisphere)
    3) to get correct reading of all the bearings, rotate the bezel to align its “C” (Russian for North) with the compass hand blue tip.

Which makes a reminder back a bit more complicated, but would this do as a base?

Note: I understood that many would prefer it all cyrillic. I tend to think it won’t help the readability of this reminder, and that we got cyrillic aplenty already on the dial and bezel, but why not? It’s just a matter of changing the wording. Let’s see first if the sketch works graphically.
    Back to my initial plans those in the Southern Hemisphere can offset the time 12 hours, again with no date to interfere, such that the blue end reads the 24 hour time, while the red end, traditionally the "North" end of the hand, will be the one pointing North.
    joecool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post

I suggest that all writing is in Cyrillic for the sake of uniformity. Build this watch as if it were a tool watch for the Russian domestic market to make it unique and very special, surely the user of any such tool watch will easily adapt?

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
    joecool, PanKorop, XsiOn and 1 others like this.

Think so too Geoff. Cyrillic seems the way to go if you ask me personally
    joecool and Geoff Adams like this.

Page 35 of 85 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Thread Information