General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project - Page 36
Like Tree926Likes

Thread: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Page 36 of 85 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
    Italy - Between Florence and Champs sur le Bisance

Re: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Adams View Post
    I suggest that all writing is in Cyrillic for the sake of uniformity. Build this watch as if it were a tool watch for the Russian domestic market to make it unique and very special, surely the user of any such tool watch will easily adapt?
    Perfect! in this way I will be able to find all the desserts in the Ryn-Peski (Рын-пески) desert without risking ugly figures or falling in style and elegance.

Alternatively, I will be able to get lost even more easily; however, it is necessary to get lost in order to find oneself again :-D
    joecool, PanKorop and Geoff Adams like this.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ http://russian-watches.it/ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭ 140 Watches exposed online now ☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    Back to my initial plans those in the Southern Hemisphere can offset the time 12 hours, again with no date to interfere, such that the blue end reads the 24 hour time, while the red end, traditionally the "North" end of the hand, will be the one pointing North.
    I assume you are agreeable to utilising only the 24h hand/24bezel method for the compass function of the watch and leaving the 12h hand out of any calculations.(for the sake of simplicity during stressful orienteering ventures in the desert or elswhere )
    Name:  Lost_in_Australian_Outback.png
Views: 57
Size:  128.9 KB
    So reversing the bezel 180 degrees /12 hours for southern hemisphere calculation works (I think) and makes for a very simple methodology for either hemisphere
    Now all we need I guess is to design a 24h/compass hand fit to grace the elegant face of Elbrus
    For which I am certain you will accomplish with your usual graphical panache comrade Arizone!
    Last edited by joecool; August 18th, 2018 at 15:15.
    Danilao and Geoff Adams like this.
    Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. ~Carl Sandburg

Italy - Between Florence and Champs sur le Bisance

Quote Originally Posted by joecool View Post
    I assume you are agreeable to utilising only the 24h hand/24bezel method for the compass function of the watch and leaving the 12h hand out of any calculations.(for the sake of simplicity during stressful orienteering ventures in the desert or elswhere )
    Joe, you’re my favorite dudeist priest!
    :-D
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ http://russian-watches.it/ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭ 140 Watches exposed online now ☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vox fori — vox dei !

Due to spontaneous and displined plebiscite by 105% of this honourable Soviet, I hereby adapted to changing winds. I’m no changeling weathercock. I’m steadfast in my faith in the Party line. It’s just the winds were a-changing

So here goes a submissive submission, assorted with public and complete self-criticism, for a 100% exotichny camembert lid.

The people’s soviet claims are one thing, but I also listened to our beloved General Secretary Arizonov, and apologize for my past bourgeois mistakes and criminal sabotaging of his enlightened leadership. The Red Banner end of the NS (sorry, СЮ) hand returns to the healthy direction of the party — North. Seversky*, sorry.

This is of course a suggestion, open to radical amendment, popular trashing and public autodafe by the honourable if proletarian here kolkhoz.

Note that Южное полушарие (Southern hemisphere) was abbreviated, else we’d need a Molniya Full Hunter case with double back lid. To Южное 1/2: “Южное пол.” wouldn’t do it, as I don’t know what is “southern gender”.

Name:  40BA4138-DB7D-48EA-B4D0-F83A6454E884.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  39.4 KB

Translation for the non-Russian speakers, from top clockwise:
    Southern 1/2 _ N _ Forum 2018 _ Northern _ “Elbrus”

(*) Before our commercial break, a bit of trivia: how was the aviation company of engineer Seversky renamed, more PC for a supplier of the Navy and USAAF? Sever(sky) went North(rop). Although I find that Northrop&Co has some Ukrainian, more than American flavour
    Sikorsky got away, but what to do of him: Sickorop? I’d resent this!
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 18th, 2018 at 21:07.

Quote Originally Posted by joecool View Post
    So reversing the bezel 180 degrees /12 hours for southern hemisphere calculation works (I think) and makes for a very simple methodology for either hemisphere
    Unfortunately not. Don’t think twice... as you were right at the start: down south, point the (12 or Zero) mark of the main dial towards the sun, and the red-blue 24h hand indicates North-South.
    Unfortunately, I can’t see any simpler method. It took me some time, as I dig quickly if patiently, lengthily taught... And taught I was by this great Sun Seeker app (note that it’s Australian!), as I missed the last Concorde to Sydney. I’m cheap, too.

Here, the paths of the sun in the sky (yellow line) of resp. Canberra and London (Greenwich).
    As Arizone suggests, you may prefer to flip the bezel in Australia so you have 12 up and 24 down, to read your 24h hour scale. However, to read proper bearings, you will need to completely swing the bezel, so its N (C in Russian) mark aligns with the red tip of your compass hand.

The main point is to compare the hour marks of the two zones, in the screenshots below. In the North, the sun turns clockwise (i.e. from left to right in the upper part of the dial), as do the hands in a watch. In the South, it goes reverse, counterclockwise (right to left on top), i.e. in the opposite direction to your watch hands. Hence the necessity of an altered method to take your bearings*.

I also note that Canberra doesn’t need any true solar noon compensation (zenith at 12:00), which will save us some further brain-racking...

Name:  F3F65DB7-D8BE-47C1-9F55-586C542786D6.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  60.1 KB

(*) Not Bering, that’s North, polar bears ring.
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 18th, 2018 at 21:00.
    joecool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post
    Vox fori — vox dei !

Name:  40BA4138-DB7D-48EA-B4D0-F83A6454E884.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  39.4 KB

Translation for the non-Russian speakers, from top clockwise:
    Southern 1/2 _ N _ Forum 2018 _ Northern _ “Elbrus”

It is no go, it is all wrong. There is nothing right on this inscription. Even Elbrus in the parenthesis is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirill Sergueev View Post
    It is no go, it is all wrong. There is nothing right on this inscription. Even Elbrus in the parenthesis is wrong.
    Great — I always like constructive criticism.

Why don’t you share the way you’d put it, instead? This is a public discussion, not a trolleybus, after all.

I’d also like to know how you’d spell Elbrus in what are quotation marks? Note we decided away from Минги-Тау...

Last edited by PanKorop; August 18th, 2018 at 21:34. Reason: removed double signature
    joecool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirill Sergueev View Post
    I think we will need the input of a native Russian speaker to make sure this is absolutely correct

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
    joecool likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Adams View Post
    I think we will need the input of a native Russian speaker to make sure this is absolutely correct

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
    Which I humbly happen to be. Now, everyone is prone to mistakes — double checking, by two different editors, is imperative in any publishing. I did already some for the dial...

Intrigued by the dissing on Elbrus, I did some checking, though. For instance, in here: https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Эльбрус
    What can be wrong in my print, beats me. I even took care of using Russian, typographically correct, quotation marks.

For the other wordings, there were some hard choices (one I partly explained) and suggestions are more than welcome.
    joecool and Danilao like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post
    Great — I always like constructive criticism.

Why don’t you share the way you’d put it, instead? This is a public discussion, not a trolleybus, after all.

I’d also like to know how you’d spell Elbrus in what are quotation marks? Note we decided away from Минги-Тау...

It is just all wrong and make no sense. Proper names in parenthesis in Russian are written in few cases and usually in the context of "pseudo". Южное 1/2 is just confusing. I do not get it. Southern what? Southern 1/2. 1/2 in Russian never mean a hemisphere. Now we have Южное 1/2 following by the Russian letter C meaning North...Southern 1/2 N etc. North on Russian maps is always on top. Never on the bottom. Of all this picture I would leave only two pick Elbrus silhouette and W logo. Even without a sun since I am not sure if this silhouette is northern or southern side of the mountain. Actually on professional compasses in Russia the sides are often were marked with Latin characters. I would just mark N-O-S-W Норд-Ост-Зюйд-Вест. Name:  79075215.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  326.1 KB
    joecool likes this.

Page 36 of 85 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast

Thread Information