General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project - Page 37
Like Tree926Likes

Thread: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Page 37 of 85 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast

Re: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Quote Originally Posted by Kirill Sergueev View Post
    It is just all wrong and make no sense. Proper names in parenthesis in Russian are written in few cases and usually in the context of "pseudo". Южное 1/2 is just confusing. I do not get it. Southern what? Southern 1/2. 1/2 in Russian never mean a hemisphere. Now we have Южное 1/2 following by the Russian letter C meaning North...Southern 1/2 N etc. North on Russian maps is always on top. Never on the bottom. Of all this picture I would leave only two pick Elbrus silhouette and W logo. Even without a sun since I am not sure if this silhouette is northern or southern side of the mountain. Actually on professional compasses in Russia the sides are often were marked with Latin characters. I would just mark N-O-S-W Норд-Ост-Зюйд-Вест. Attachment 13404319
    It seems you didn’t follow the whole thread, with the discussion on using a compass watch both in Southern and Northern hemispheres. That the case back sketch itself was initiated to try and devise a reminder of a user’s manual for orientation.

If it were the case, you might have noticed that I preceded you in pedantry, having already mentioned the Russian naval tradition of marking marine compasses with the English initials NSWE while naming them with the purely Dutch words of Норд, Зюйд, Вест, Ост. I pray note that the one antique compass you show is a naval one, not a field one. As for “professional”, not heritage compasses, I’m afraid they’re called Glonas...

You might as well have noticed that I defended the use of English wording on the caseback, as least confusing to most users. Now, since this is a collaborative, i.e. consensual project, a majority seemed to favour Russian.

For the use, or abuse, of what are quotations marks, I understand your point, though I believe this watch is not the Elbrus, and its name could use quotes (скобки) — mostly for typographical balance as seen opposite to a longer text. And this without attracting someone’s radical ire.

For Южное полушарие, I would welcome any suggestion of a less confusing abbreviation. I say abbreviation or symbol, as squeezing these eight syllables in one quarter of a one-inch wide stamped surface may be... challenging.
    Secondly, you say you find it generally confusing. Why, because in Australia, the sun zenith is North, so we’d write South. Hem. at top of the dial? Btw, while I’m not a native speaker of English, I can assure you you’ll never hear anyone say “I live in south hem”. Because this is called a written abbreviation, and it didn’t shock anyone here. Should I write Down Under (on top! ) and Here Normal, so it doesn’t disorient you? Fair skins / Dark skins?

As for the view of the Elbrus, I was confident we’d find at least one person to say it may be not correct because, maybe, viewed from the wrong side, so is it really properly oriented on the watch? Yeah, quite important, that. For my part, I may be interested in some details, but not to the point of neglecting the big picture, nor dragging things from moving.
    joecool likes this.

To summarize the back looks hectic and just wrong. The simple "Эльбрус - проект форума русских часов WUS " is going to be enough.

To summarize the back looks hectic and just wrong. The simple "Эльбрус - проект форума русских часов WUS " is going to be enough.
    Gotcha: now that was clean and clear. And why not?
    Pretty easy and straightforward — just get rid of the whole, believe me challenging, how-to reminder. I certainly don’t need it personally, so...

Which question could feed one of next poll threads.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

if caseback is to be tutorial, I prefer English.

if commemorative wording only, then russian
    Last edited by taike; August 19th, 2018 at 00:32.

Quote Originally Posted by taike View Post
    if caseback is to be tutorial, I prefer English.

if commemorative wording only, then russian
    Pictorial tutorial transcends language,so is only a challenge of design
    Danilao likes this.
    Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. ~Carl Sandburg

IMHO the simpler is better. Mixing Russian and English words on the same sentence is no good. Looks (and actually sounds) like Spanglish. Let it be just a simple but remarkable commemorative inscription.
    joecool likes this.

I've always found it strange that linguistics become less comprehensible when variantations on semantics come to the fore.
    So ,I hold the same stance as before....keep it simple!
    Kirill Sergueev and Danilao like this.
    Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. ~Carl Sandburg

I think we should use Universal Chinglish on the caseback, I'm sure by now all of us have mastered deciphering Chinese-English instruction manuals lol

IMHO the simpler is better. Mixing Russian and English words on the same sentence is no good. Looks (and actually sounds) like Spanglish. Let it be just a simple but remarkable commemorative inscription.
    Who wouldn’t agree? It is beautifully open-ended, like a politician’s program.
    Sure, the opposition won’t dare answer: “No! Let’s make it complicated, with a blandly unremarkable inscription.”

The problem I see is commemorative inscriptions are all over the watches, especially Soviet or Russian (forum projects or not).

Now, some Vostok stamped backs, like the Scuba dude, or the dolphin, come to memory more than commemorations. They are just iconic. I personally can do without any mention of date nor origin, beside an inconspicuous logo.

This is why I side with a graphism, but useful for a change, and not solely ornamental. If you offer the watch, you can quickly explain its special use, with the back as a visual support. You know the person will remember it thanks to that schematic reminder. Even during a first visit to Uluru/Ayers rock several years from now.

How about this?

Name:  CDB96B65-E726-4EF6-BDA0-539EBA28B39E.jpeg
Views: 66
Size:  40.3 KB

(rough tablet sketch; of course typography—text, spacing, numbers—to be adjusted)

Page 37 of 85 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast

Thread Information