General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project - Page 38
Like Tree926Likes

Thread: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Page 38 of 85 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Re: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    With a massive 75% of first-choice votes layout #3 is clearly the winner!
    ​​​​​​​​​​

Great. Now i just hope for a two tone version like the ones you teased here -> https://forums.watchuseek.com/f911/g...l#post46728741
    PanKorop likes this.

The fourth one (from left to right) would be perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Kraut View Post
    Great. Now i just hope for a two tone version like the ones you teased here -> https://forums.watchuseek.com/f911/g...l#post46728741

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

105%!
    Since this people’s soviet plebiscited a double scale — 24h + bearings — it only makes sense.

Update for a less sketchy rough (or vice-versa)

Name:  91EE19B5-23DB-43C5-8B42-CEEC15AAC2D2.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  67.2 KB

joecool and Kirill Sergueev like this.

Getting better PanKorop.

I´d switch Northern and Southern explanations, Northern at the Top Southern to the Bottom and let [North Hem] and [South Hem] both start at the 9 Position.
    hseldon likes this.

How is everyone feeling toward the bezel markings? Until now I have been mainly playing with two designs. One more Vostok wrist compass inspired, which I prefer, and one more Alpinist inspired.

I have heard concerns regarding readability. Text will be made as large as possible. Compared to the K-34 bezel I estimate the text will be slightly smaller, but our two layered design will max out the vertical space the bezel has to offer as well. I don't anticipate any visual distortion from the crystal either. Currently the pure red has a 3:1 contrast ratio with the dark slate background, which is okay, but is the lowest among all primary and secondary colors (except blue, obviously). White is 12:1 contrast ratio, for comparison. On the other hand, red also has the highest contrast ratio against white markings to visually differentiate the two. Aesthetically, I don't think any other color combinations would work out as well with the classic red and blue compass needle.

Apologies if I have been sluggish lately, although while we are always still waiting for more people to join I don't need to rush either.

Your choice is perfect, and consistent with the dial color theme.

Of the two variations, I prefer the right one:
    • it seems less busy to me
    • the larger N red triangle is well differentiated, which it should (pasta timing...)
    • the S,E,W are spotted at a glance.

However, the +45º marks (NE, SE, SW, NW) do not stand out from the digits around. I don’t see how to correct this, except by blending them in all the way, i.e. replacing them by the corresponding bearings: 045, 135, 225, 315.

PS: I would still insist the first degrees markings to be triple digits (015, 030, 060, 075) as the first two (15, 30) make me think of minutes or seconds. It is also more in compass dials tradition.
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 21st, 2018 at 08:44.

Getting better PanKorop.

I´d switch Northern and Southern explanations, Northern at the Top Southern to the Bottom and let [North Hem] and [South Hem] both start at the 9 Position.
    I understand, and I did consider (and did the layout) both options. Yours appears logical. Also, starting both S and N at 9 is excellent, from this standpoint.
    Now, to me, it swings the instructions at the opposite of the concerned hands and markings.
    I even considered writing Austral (or Austr.) and Boreal instead of resp. South, North hem., but nah...

If I may defend my choice:
    • First: in the South hem, you’ll deal mostly with the top part of the dial. And vice-versa for North.
    • For North as well as South hem. I had the relevant instructions just above or under the concerned dial or hand.
    I.e. on top : Zero>Sun above the 0, Red=N above the “red” hand tip — so it is clear we mean it red.
    Same underside: Blue>Sun under the “blue” 1/2 hand; Zero=N along the central axis (this being one reason why I added that 6 digit).

Please consider and tell me.

PS: sorry, mariomart: see I tried, so for once you wouldn’t be seen “down under”...

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post
    Please consider and tell me.
    You're right. at least mostly ;)

If I understand it correctly, either way, one Hemisphere will be slightly Confused.
    As it is, the Northern Guys are at the South but will be guided to opposite side of the Sketch/Dial to find North at the 0.
    Flip the Text and the Northern explanation is up where their Hemisphere is and where North will be found but the Southern Hemisphere Residents will have to read their Text at the bottom but start withe the 0 to find North.

Basically, one will have to Start at the wrong Side or one will End at the wrong Side.
    As the Compass Hand moves around i´d consider it not too important for the Graphic considering it´s just B/W and not colored and one could easily mix their meaning.
    Wich side represents Red/Blue? I´d forget it within just a couple of Days.

I guess both Versions are equallly right or wrong.
    PanKorop likes this.

Page 38 of 85 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Thread Information