General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project - Page 43
Like Tree926Likes

Thread: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Page 43 of 85 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast

Re: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Quote Originally Posted by gjclayton View Post
    Would you need to use the two functions at the same time?
    I expect you would just more the 24 bezel element back around after using the compass...

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    Yes of course I think one would use to functions at the same time..... having the compass hand set to a certain value I would leave it there as a matter a fact. Then after walking a while I would set it again and take note of the difference in the amount of degrees to have the possibility to adjust my route. This has to be done when using a map for navigation. Having to skip between to parameters all the time does not really make sense. I think I did never see any watch with those two functions incorporated in one single moving bezel. but that can be my ignorance of course.
    Wouldn`t it be nice to have an outer rotating bezel for either the GMT or the compass functionality? I mean if we are creating a toolwatch, let`s try to make sure that it can have a multi purpose for usage while for instance out in the field.
    Last edited by Marijn2; August 25th, 2018 at 00:50.

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post
    I was kidding. Yes, I agree these numerals looked great. Better than that: creative, for their time. Now isn’t this here project busy enough with so many symbols? Why don’t we keep your suggestion for a dress watch 2019 project? I’d love such one, esp. without the alarm. Dead serious here.
    My... I just saw nearby on WUS an Alpina which looks close to our Elbrus, with double time, degrees scale... and 9am to 5pm outlined in red on the daytime half of the internal bezel! An employee orientation tool watch, case you don’t find your way to the card puncher? Too many features loose the purpose, imho.

Now — hate to tell you this — but this Signal’s syringe hands don’t seem to me totally kosher, I mean totally Frankfurter Stein. Maybe not: I’m no expert, just paranoidsky...

Seriously — at least trying my best which ain’t mucho. The Alpenstock/Elbruschmock idea , even by the butt of its handle? It could be a concept: a handset of mountain pick & sickle (cutting in half Raketa Copernic minute hands?), plus a couple more revolving bezels for moon-phases, time in Magadan, Petropavlovsk-Kamthchatsky and Anadyr...
    Mountain barock and roll!
    I cannot attest to the authenticity of those particular hands on that exact variant of the Alarm watch, however that style of hands was most certainly a common feature of this model of watch throughout its manufacture down the years.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

Also, I dont think that style of indices should just be brushed aside and dismissed - I certainly believe they are worthy of being put into the mix and to the vote alongside other ideas. They may not win but it should be put to the test alongside others, assuming they are a viable option.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Geoff Adams; August 25th, 2018 at 00:49.
    PanKorop and joecool like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree Geoff,anything is possible...I just want the Elbrus to be its own thing and not just a goddamn Seiko Alpinist wannabe.
    The indices and numeral style on the mockup are lacking in character and more like something you would see on a £10 fashion watch,also the numerals look a bit to spindly (IMNSHO)
    As for whether the hands on the signal picture I posted are legitimate for that particular watch are neither here nor there...it is just for inspiration for something a bit different
    PanKorop likes this.
    Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. ~Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by joecool View Post
    Unfortunately,the signal ain't mine,but yes I did mean the indices/numeral style.
    I also quite like the syringe style hands....now they kinda look a bit like the bottom of the handle of a soviet climbing axe!
    Attachment 13420819
    Lets have ice pick incorporated into the design. Just to celebrate Leo Trotsky assassination by Mercador.

Quote Originally Posted by Marijn2 View Post
    Yes of course I think one would use to functions at the same time..... having the compass hand set to a certain value I would leave it there as a matter a fact. Then after walking a while I would set it again and take note of the difference in the amount of degrees to have the possibility to adjust my route. This has to be done when using a map for navigation. Having to skip between to parameters all the time does not really make sense. I think I did never see any watch with those two functions incorporated in one single moving bezel. but that can be my ignorance of course.
    Wouldn`t it be nice to have an outer rotating bezel for either the GMT or the compass functionality? I mean if we are creating a toolwatch, let`s try to make sure that it can have a multi purpose for usage while for instance out in the field.
    Thing is, here you don’t set the « compass » hand: it is linked directly to the hour hand. If you’re hiking, it will move by itself +15º after an hour: it has corrected itself already! As for the time it is, well you do have a standard watch handset, too.
    For the feature you ask, the mechanism would have to be a true GMT, In which case the 24h scale could be fixed, on the dial, while the bezel would read the bearings only. Btw, the Alpina above does just that. Now the Elbrus should cost the same retail price as that Swiss bezel alone...
    I can hardly see cases where you have to take orientation readings and at the same time check whether your Singapore subsidiary is open for business. Personally, I would have been content with the Elbrus sacrificing the « GMT » function altogether. Now, the majority insisted on it, so — amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Danilao View Post
    I find they are all great ideas.
    I would add only a ringtone modulated on the Soviet anthem with a Siberian wolf background
    We would have to put the lyrics (1977 version, please) on the case back. In Cyrillic, of course.

All three stanzas.

PanKorop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirill Sergueev View Post
    Lets have ice pick incorporated into the design. Just to celebrate Leo Trotsky assassination by Mercador.
    Жесть
    By the way, non-native English speakers often confuse the mountain pick (a sort of pickaxe) with an ice pick, which is just a handle on a straight short sharpened rod — sort of an awl (шило). Ever wondered how Mercador could have passed cautious Leo’s security guards with a goddam pickaxe under his clothes? And how Trotsky could survive several blows of that alpenstock? Note this thingie is harder to come by in Mexican hardware stores...
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 25th, 2018 at 04:08.
    Kirill Sergueev likes this.

I agree Geoff,anything is possible...I just want the Elbrus to be its own thing and not just a goddamn Seiko Alpinist wannabe.
    The indices and numeral style on the mockup are lacking in character and more like something you would see on a £10 fashion watch,also the numerals look a bit to spindly (IMNSHO)
    As for whether the hands on the signal picture I posted are legitimate for that particular watch are neither here nor there...it is just for inspiration for something a bit different
    Are you forgetting these current ones were taken directly from the Poljus?

I'm not against competing ideas because we haven't exactly voted on it yet, but I felt that everyone was satisfied with the current choice so far.

Ok — sold!

Then maybe we could get rid of the Seiko Alp style 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 numerals. Distracting, overdressed, not cardinal. I willy-nilly accepted these so far only because the project originally referred to the Alpinist.

Since we are not bothered by a date window, then just 0, 3, 6, 9. Explorer style Which in Northern hemisphere would double as a quick cardinal orientation!

PS: while I wrote, Arizone corrected me. Ok, Poljus inspiration — cool, even polar, reference indeed. Justifies the hands and font. Still, I don’t like the old style even numerals layout: 3, 6, 9 make more sense for practical purposes. Also, it gets rid of the double digit 10 heavyness.
    Last edited by PanKorop; August 25th, 2018 at 04:42.
    joecool likes this.

Page 43 of 85 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast

Thread Information