General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project - Page 50
Like Tree926Likes

Thread: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Page 50 of 85 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast

Re: General Discussion Thread for the 2018 Russian forum project

Quote Originally Posted by calote View Post
    Allow me to show you the current Russian watch project from the Spanish forum RE

Below, the last developments:

It might bring some ideas to our designers.
    I seriously hope not. Imho, “our” designers came up with a way more original project, which is the Elbrus. This RE manages, without numbers on the dial, to be both busy and little legible, with a bezel belonging on a Seiko SKX007, and a general lack of identity.

I’m disappointed by the 12E team. Their blue-yellow Vostok was fun and daring; their Baikonur / Voskhod-2 pretty nice, though I’ll change the case of mine. Here, I wonder what’s Especial about this Reloj. Well, can’t win every time, I suppose...
    Last edited by PanKorop; September 14th, 2018 at 08:24.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Allow me to show you the current Russian watch project from the Spanish forum RE...
    I'd be interested to learn more of the story behind this watch. Can you post a new thread in the main forum?
    Danilao likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post
    I seriously hope not. Imho, “our” designers came up with a way more original project, which is the Elbrus. This RE manages, without numbers on the dial, to be both busy and little legible, with a bezel belonging on a Seiko SKX007, and a general lack of identity.

I’m disappointed by the 12E team. Their blue-yellow Vostok was fun and daring; their Baikonur / Voskhod-2 pretty nice, though I’ll change the case of mine. Here, I wonder what’s Especial about this Reloj. Well, can’t win every time, I suppose...
    Nice! it makes me proud to know that some people in WUS are in the loop of RE forum watches.

Regarding the Baikal, I quite like it, it is maybe less daring than its predecessors but I think it has charm. Besides, it will be a 670 case with unidirectional bezel, sandwich dial and blue lume; quite out of the ordinary IMHO. It is true that I find the back a bit boring compared to the Baikonur, but we won't know for sure until it is finished.

I also have the Baikonur, certainly the 150 case has some flaws (mostly due to springbar holes drilled a bit too close to the edge) but that can be easily solved with the right bracelets; have you tried with a thick shark mesh?.

Ah! In case you finally change the Baikonur case I would recommend a 090, I believe it suits the theme of the watch. It is the right moment to get them cheap from komandirskie.com (you pay in RUB)
    PanKorop and Danilao like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So there's still a lot to deal with here and I want to share my thoughts. This is not to discourage anyone, only to reel back some of the fun we have had.

I am personally very fond of the Poljus design. It has that exploration history which also goes with the cool blue theme, the six numeral layout breaks up the monotony of the four axes on the bezel, fills out the space, and also aesthetically separates the timekeeping from the separate compass function, and last it's not radical enough to turn anyone away which is a concern already raised. The bezel numeral font was also chosen to match, although that can be adjusted as needed. The other designs suggested, as iconic as they are in their own right, I don't agree they are fit for this project.

My second interest is whether to pursue full lumed indices as opposed to lume dots or similar. I'm leaning toward not, and let me explain. While the popular Alpinist has rather rounded surfaces to the indices, I'm instead picturing flat sharp surfaces alike the Hamilton Khaki Pilot or even Vostok's own models. I actually hate the Khaki Pilot's applied indices, because they don't fit at all on a flieger, but on our watch they absolutely would.

Here's a few more renderings to brainstorm over, and I added back on the dial details to give a better idea. Don't be hung up on those or the twelves versus zeros of course. This is before I mull over everything to prepare the next vote.

You're pulling me back in with these latest versions!
    I love the first two and the third looks great too.
    Excellent work.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

The right one is awesome. Well done.
    milligan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizone View Post
    So there's still a lot to deal with here and I want to share my thoughts. This is not to discourage anyone, only to reel back some of the fun we have had.

I am personally very fond of the Poljus design. It has that exploration history which also goes with the cool blue theme, the six numeral layout breaks up the monotony of the four axes on the bezel, fills out the space, and also aesthetically separates the timekeeping from the separate compass function, and last it's not radical enough to turn anyone away which is a concern already raised. The bezel numeral font was also chosen to match, although that can be adjusted as needed. The other designs suggested, as iconic as they are in their own right, I don't agree they are fit for this project.

My second interest is whether to pursue full lumed indices as opposed to lume dots or similar. I'm leaning toward not, and let me explain. While the popular Alpinist has rather rounded surfaces to the indices, I'm instead picturing flat sharp surfaces alike the Hamilton Khaki Pilot or even Vostok's own models. I actually hate the Khaki Pilot's applied indices, because they don't fit at all on a flieger, but on our watch they absolutely would.

Here's a few more renderings to brainstorm over, and I added back on the dial details to give a better idea. Don't be hung up on those or the twelves versus zeros of course. This is before I mull over everything to prepare the next vote.

I like them all, but I'd rather keep the lume pips.

Enviado dende o meu MYA-L41 usando Tapatalk
    Horoticus likes this.

I like them all, but I'd rather keep the lume pips.
    +1

After mulling it over, all things considered, I agree with Arizone. #1 would be my choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still like the right one the most.

Page 50 of 85 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast