Baselworld 2020 canceled/postponed - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Baselworld 2020 canceled/postponed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Baselworld 2020 canceled/postponed

Winners are online media outlets. I'm sure all novelties will just be announced online.

I think in general 2020 will be a boom for high end ecommerce products - that has lesser dependency on China manufacturing. Watches will also fuel that.

Quote Originally Posted by iddaka View Post
    I think in general 2020 will be a boom for high end ecommerce products - that has lesser dependency on China manufacturing. Watches will also fuel that.
    e-commerce MAY see a rise, but if there's a global recession...and the Feds just made a significant unscheduled rate cut to try to head this off, so they think the risk is very real...nothing will sell well.

Plus, just because my company doesn't need Chinese-made parts...doesn't mean my suppliers aren't gonna get hit. The airlines are getting *crushed*. CNBC is reporting United is cutting 10% of their flights in the US and Canada...and 20% on their international flights. Business travel is *sharply* down; Twitter, IIRC, has said No Business Travel, Facebook has pulled out of SXSW in Austin. They're suggesting "work from home" if possible. So, with airlines down...hotel bookings will be down. Restaurant reservations at business-oriented restaurants will be down. Uber and Lyft will get hit. The same kind of domino effect will take place in industry; the driver is the Chinese suppliers.

Plus...broadly speaking, what industries are NOT dependent to a notable degree on China? Individual companies, OK...but larger segments?

Another aspect is the broad uncertainty also curbs spending. And very clearly, uncertainty is very, very high.

My take is that, no matter what they might say...NO event is certain to be held until it starts, or the outbreak shows significant signs of shrinking, or an effective treatment is developed so the risk drops.

EDIT: just saw that the latest Bond film is being postponed from April to November, as a precautionary measure. One point of reference: theaters in China and Japan have been closed. Box office in those countries for January and February in 2019: $1.5B US. For the same period in 2020: about $4M. B dropped to M. Sporting events in northern Italy have been CLOSED to the public, and all schools and universities are closed. Washington State has started significant closures. How much income loss will all this represent? LOTS!

EDIT 2:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ba...celed-now-what

I'll quote one thing:
    Credit Suisse, for example, estimated in a Feb. 24 note to investors that Richemont Group sales in China would fall 80% in February and March. It noted that one-third of Cartier stores in China are closed, and the rest are open from noon until 5 PM instead of the normal 10 AM to 10 PM.
    Last edited by gangrel; March 5th, 2020 at 04:05.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I read some rumors that Rolex will be hosting an event this year in New York instead due to this cancellation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cdo221 View Post
    I read some rumors that Rolex will be hosting an event this year in New York instead due to this cancellation!
    Possible, but...

NY Times has a story this morning. First reported case in NYC was Sunday...5 days ago. As of this morning, it's 22. In 5 days.

I would not consider planning a new, big event...anywhere. Not until the pandemic shows signs of relenting. It's not even close to that. And I seriously doubt Geneva Watch Days, the distributed "fair" trying to replace Watches & Wonders, will proceed; I'll go further and predict a cancellation before St. Pat's Day.
    cdo221 likes this.

What a shame, living in Switzerland for 5 years this was the first time I wanted to go and now it's cancelled :D .♂️

If Rolex *was* considering an event in NYC, at best any planning would have to be on hold.

Number of cases in New York *jumped* to 76. Governor declares a state of emergency. Perhaps more noteworthy...over 4000 have been asked to put themselves into a self-quarantine.

I understand the event being cancelled. Let's get on with these brands releasing their new models then. Just put them on the web and be done. I'm tired of waiting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information