Baselworld 2020 canceled/postponed
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Baselworld 2020 canceled/postponed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Baselworld 2020 canceled/postponed

Basel, Switzerland, 28 February 2020 – For health safety reasons and in accordance with the precautionary principle following the bans of large-scale public and private events issued today by the Swiss federal and cantonal authorities, Baselworld announces that it has taken the decision to postpone the show to Thursday 28th January 2021 to Tuesday 2nd February 2021 (Press Day on Wednesday 27th January), due to concerns related to Covid-19.

Baselworld, which was to be held from April 30th to May 5th , 2020, has taken this difficult decision in close consultation with its partners and the health authorities in charge, in whom Baselworld has full confidence for their expertise and recommendations for the benefit of exhibitors, visitors and collaborators. Following today’s official ban on large public gatherings which meant direct repercussions for the show, Baselworld had no other option than to make a decision as all preparations, in particular, construction in the halls and of the stands was scheduled to commence next week (start March).

Michel Loris-Melikoff, Managing Director of Baselworld said: “We deeply regret having had to postpone the event as planned due to the coronavirus, in full consideration of the needs of the watch and jewellery industry to be able to benefit from the platform to develop their business. This decision has been all the more difficult in view of all the positives that have been achieved through listening and dialogue over the last few months, which resulted in new concepts and new solutions, that have attracted exhibitors to return and new ones to sign on. We registered encouraging growth in all sectors; watchmaking, jewellery, the gemstone and pearl trade, as well as in the technical branch.

By postponing the show to January 2021, we have found a solution that enables the industry and all our customers to avoid losing a full year and at the same time reset their calendars for the beginning of the year, a period that is conductive to the presentation of their new products, new trends and order taking. This postponing will also allow Baselworld to continue developing and bringing new formats and solutions as well as improvements to the new concept we propose.”

Bernd Stadlwieser, Group CEO of MCH said: "Within the process of the last weeks, I was very impressed by the involvement and trust of all our customers, partners, stakeholders and team, to pro-actively find the very best solution in the interests of the industries. By communicating intensively all together, we were able to work on different scenarios and to jointly decide on the very best one. I would like to thank everybody for their belief in and commitment to our platform.”

Baselworld is not only the largest watch and jewellery event in the world, but is also destined to become the industry's largest global community platform, active all year round. In the coming weeks, we will be presenting a new digital service that is essential and useful to our entire community, and which we trust will meet the needs of the brands that have become even more important in these difficult and turbulent times.”
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Re: Baselworld 2020 canceled/postponed

Yeah, figured as much. The spread of COVID19 hasn't shown any signs of slowing and this was in the best interest of everyone. Does that mean the new models for this year will be advertised/released by individual companies? Or do you think that not much stuff will be released and things all together may be pushed back until next year?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

They want to make money, right ? So they will not hide their novelties. Swatch Group was thinking about showing their watches locally. No clue how they will do that, how this is going to work out finally. Since all major watch events have been canceled (not talking about Dubai or Doha) right now I am really curious what the key players are doing now.
    Katakuri17 likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Kat: it's not slowing. Switzerland reports 8 cases...from none last week.
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

The part I find utterly absurd is...postpone until January, then have the big show....THEN turn around and try to pull off *another* one 3 months later??? That's ridiculous. My take is they're desperately trying to hold onto any money they've been paid, that would have to be returned if they outright cancel, and contracts they'd signed to put the show on. I don't think it'll work; the pushback from trying to do this will be enormous.

And now? I think this terrible move means the show has no chance to survive. Skipping a year would've been bad; but this lame move will IMO backfire and eliminate any chance it might've had.
    Katakuri17 and JCB43 like this.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Off Topic post Re: Baselworld 2020 canceled/postponed

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    Kat: it's not slowing. Switzerland reports 8 cases...from none last week.
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

The part I find utterly absurd is...postpone until January, then have the big show....THEN turn around and try to pull off *another* one 3 months later??? That's ridiculous. My take is they're desperately trying to hold onto any money they've been paid, that would have to be returned if they outright cancel, and contracts they'd signed to put the show on. I don't think it'll work; the pushback from trying to do this will be enormous.

And now? I think this terrible move means the show has no chance to survive. Skipping a year would've been bad; but this lame move will IMO backfire and eliminate any chance it might've had.
    Maybe they will push the one after to six months down the line. Or might skip that one altogether. Most likely there will only be one Baselworld next year, the one at January 2021. It doesn't make much financial sense for all parties involved to hold two.

It makes NO sense to drop millions in January and then April. There's not going to be that much that's new.

Even a July time frame isn't that sensible for a big show. It's prime vacation time...how much of Basel is booked for that? Shows get scheduled for off-peak seasons for a reason. It's still rather soon; how much new product development will happen in 6 months? It'd be jerking around product cycles...what happens in 2022? If Baselworld is a major cornerstone of your marketing efforts, then its regularity becomes important.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

Naturally I understand the cancellation. It's for the best, peoples' health isn't worth risking. Hopefully nations will come together and find a vaccine by Baselworld 2021.
    Best Regards,

--Todd

Do you guys think the watches/models that would've been announced will still happen? I figure most of the big players like Swatch, Rolex, etc. could just have a press release on their own or would they just wait until 2021??

I was hoping that the companies will just do press releases or perhaps a new type of launch for their new products. The Geneva Auto Show is cancelled too and I doubt automakers will wait a whole year to show new cars.

That sucks - I look forward to the new press releases every year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast