BaselWorld 2020 Press Release: 7 May 2020 - AGREEMENT WITH EXHIBITORS
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: BaselWorld 2020 Press Release: 7 May 2020 - AGREEMENT WITH EXHIBITORS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BaselWorld 2020 Press Release: 7 May 2020 - AGREEMENT WITH EXHIBITORS

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 12.50.23 AM.png
Views: 70
Size:  42.1 KB

Basel, Switzerland, 07 May 2020 – The MCH Group and representatives of the exhibitors at Baselworld have reached agreement on the settlement for the cancelled Baselworld 2020. In collaboration with the Swiss Exhibitors’ Committee, an amicable solution has been drawn up, unanimously approved by the Comité Consultatif and also supported by industry associations.

"I welcome the constructive attitude of the representatives of the MCH Group, which has enabled us to find a balanced solution", says Hubert J. du Plessix, President of the Swiss Exhibitors’ Committee. "I would also like to thank Patek Philippe, Rolex, Tudor, Chanel, Chopard, Hublot, Zenith and Tag Heuer, who, in a spirit of solidarity with the sector as a whole, have agreed to a lower refund so that the other exhibitors can benefit from better conditions."

Bernd Stadlwieser, CEO of the MCH Group, stresses: "We are pleased to have worked together and, in just a short time, found a solution that is acceptable to everyone. In the light of the large loss of revenue due to COVID-19 and our responsibility to all our stakeholder groups, this solution marks the limit of what is possible for us. With the amicable settlement for Baselworld 2020, we can now concentrate fully on the future."

The MCH Group has taken the decision not to hold Baselworld 2021 that had been planned for 28 January to 2 February 2021. "Together with the exhibitors and visitors, we are working intensively on clarifying and discussing the requirements and options for new platforms," says Michel Loris-Melikoff, Managing Director of Baselworld. "We will be taking a decision on possible follow-up formats by the summer and will then provide information on the new concept and scheduling."

Re: BaselWorld 2020 Press Release: 7 May 2020 - AGREEMENT WITH EXHIBITORS

Sad. Easy to cancel, difficult to start back up again, especially under current economic climate. But it sounds like MCH is content with the terms.

Not sure what they mean by: "I would also like to thank Patek Philippe, Rolex, Tudor, Chanel, Chopard, Hublot, Zenith and Tag Heuer, who, in a spirit of solidarity with the sector as a whole, have agreed to a lower refund so that the other exhibitors can benefit from better conditions." Do they mean that those who didn't cancel early on will get a bigger refund?

It isn't something that I will miss. With the internet and local AD's most people can get the same information from the comfort of their home/local area.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think it's gone for good now . . .

Quote Originally Posted by watchRus View Post
    Sad. Easy to cancel, difficult to start back up again, especially under current economic climate. But it sounds like MCH is content with the terms.

Not sure what they mean by: "I would also like to thank Patek Philippe, Rolex, Tudor, Chanel, Chopard, Hublot, Zenith and Tag Heuer, who, in a spirit of solidarity with the sector as a whole, have agreed to a lower refund so that the other exhibitors can benefit from better conditions." Do they mean that those who didn't cancel early on will get a bigger refund?
    That quote is from the Exhibitors' Committee President, not MCH Group’s CEO.
    Those brands mentioned, accepted a lesser refund amount in order that MCH would refund more, if not all, to the smaller manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    That quote is from the Exhibitors' Committee President, not MCH Group’s CEO.
    Those brands mentioned, accepted a lesser refund amount in order that MCH would refund more, if not all, to the smaller manufacturers.
    Yes, that is what I said. But do you have confirmation in official means?

Also, the mentioned brands did not 'accept' a lesser refund, they chose the 30% refund over 15% more for next year's show.
    Last edited by watchRus; 1 Week Ago at 01:20.

That’s the impression I took from the announcement, especially given MCH have now cancelled the show. Previously, and with an acceptance deadline of 30th April, they were relying heavily on legalese within the terms of the contract each exhibitor signed up to, to make a derisory offer of 30% cash refund, and 45% carried over for the 2021 show.
    As the show has been officially cancelled, all parties should’ve received a full refund, and MCH to claim on their insurance contracts to claw back expenditure on their end.
    The agreement reached should’ve seen the smaller brands receiving 65% of their deposits – https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolbe...-fair-pending/ – but it now seems MCH is still playing silly buggers with some… https://www.watchpro.com/baselworld-...ancelled-show/

Looking forward to reading the potential impending court case(s).

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    That’s the impression I took from the announcement, especially given MCH have now cancelled the show. Previously, and with an acceptance deadline of 30th April, they were relying heavily on legalese within the terms of the contract each exhibitor signed up to, to make a derisory offer of 30% cash refund, and 45% carried over for the 2021 show.
    As the show has been officially cancelled, all parties should’ve received a full refund, and MCH to claim on their insurance contracts to claw back expenditure on their end.
    The agreement reached should’ve seen the smaller brands receiving 65% of their deposits – https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolbe...-fair-pending/ – but it now seems MCH is still playing silly buggers with some… https://www.watchpro.com/baselworld-...ancelled-show/

Looking forward to reading the potential impending court case(s).
    I thought the exhibitors initially agreed to the 2021 postponement? And if there was a cut-off date, I am not sure what legal means exist for those brands who failed to confirm in a timely manner. Main watch brands coming out before the cut-off date makes me believe that if they were not to confirm/deny, then their refund options will be even more limited, or assumed they will not joining the show in 2021.

One must understand that the 2020 show was prohibited by the Swiss government as there was a limit on large public gatherings. Hence the postponement. Legally, Baselworld cannot have the 2020 show. The ban was enacted on February 28, and has now been extended till August.

Quote Originally Posted by watchRus View Post
    I thought the exhibitors initially agreed to the 2021 postponement? And if there was a cut-off date, I am not sure what legal means exist for those brands who failed to confirm in a timely manner. Main watch brands coming out before the cut-off date makes me believe that if they were not to confirm/deny, then their refund options will be even more limited, or assumed they will not joining the show in 2021.

One must understand that the 2020 show was prohibited by the Swiss government as there was a limit on large public gatherings. Hence the postponement. Legally, Baselworld cannot have the 2020 show. The ban was enacted on February 28, and has now been extended till August.
    I stopped bothering trying to untangle the conflicting claims. We don't know what was agreed to in fact, and what was "hmm...well, maybe that'll work." Flat out tho, I think MCH is not worthy of any trust. Pure and simple: Baselworld is trying to enforce a contract when they cannot fulfill their side. The proximate breach is on THEIR side, IMO. Their initial *refund* offer was pathetic; the 85% thing was credit towards a future show, whether the exhibitors wanted to carry forward or not. That is NOT a refund offer. The refund offer was, IIRC, 30% refund, 40% credit to next year, 30% held by MCH? Get real. MCH still kept something around 2/3 of the money.

Personally, I think Baselworld is dead due to the bad blood...towards MCH and its failure to address issues (like the wi-fi), towards Basel for gouging for so long.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

^
    Baselworld is indeed dead, but MCH are still looking for a new venue and name for the event next year.
    They have also stated that exhibitors are to get 66.6% of their deposits back, in cash, and the other 33.3%… well, that’s to limit MCH’s exposure. How magnanimous of them.
    On the downside, the Geneva Palaexpo has more than enough free space such that it could also take place during the W&W show, and whatever Rolex/PP/LVMH/etc decide to call their’s.

https://www.watchpro.com/exclusive-b...resh-location/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information