Tritium gas tubes for lume? How bright are they? - Page 6
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Tritium gas tubes for lume? How bright are they?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: Tritium gas tubes for lume? How bright are they?

I can honestly say that the watches that I have that incorporate the Tritium tubes have a constant, but sometimes dim view where as several of my Citizens or Seikos with the the regular lume material are far brighter when first coming in from bright conditions, but
    they fade after several minutes. I like the tubes for the constant lumination they provide.

They have a good constant lume that is readable all night. But seriously,they don't live up the the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by pickle puss View Post
    They have a good constant lume that is readable all night. But seriously,they don't live up the the hype.
    What hype?

Isn't the whole point to maintain readability? If they do that all the time without needing to be charged doesn't that suffice? What else would you like them to do?

Maybe I'm just spoiled because my Armourlite is entirely black and in daylight the tubes are the only white on the dial so that contrast makes them pop, while in darkness they provide more than sufficient glow.

I used to have a T25 watch and I think that's certainly insufficient. T100 does what it's supposed to and in my opinion it does it well.

Tritium gas tubes for lume? How bright are they?

Quote Originally Posted by doppleganger View Post
    Seems as though the tritium haters here have never owned one.....

Everyone here who has owned a tritium watch for over 10 years raise your hand.

Just as I thought.
    Hand raised.

Though just a Smith and Wesson cheapie.

Edit: darn it not 10 years though, just saw that.

Anyway I bought tritium hoping I could read my watch driving at night. But found that oncoming headlights ruined my night vision too much.

Any one else? Can you read your tritium watch after a bout of oncoming traffic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nodnar; February 18th, 2019 at 08:12.

That's positive thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    That way, when the tritium finally fades in 20-25 years, and I can no longer read my $1K + watch at night, I won't care. Because by then, I'll be dead. :)
    Will Work for Watches

Quote Originally Posted by nodnar View Post
    Hand raised.

Anyway I bought tritium hoping I could read my watch driving at night. But found that oncoming headlights ruined my night vision too much.

Any one else? Can you read your tritium watch after a bout of oncoming traffic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think any lume or tritium will matter under those circumstances and perhaps an uncluttered high contrast dial would be better. Or you could use the opportunity of oncoming headlights to glance at your watch at that moment and eliminate the need for lume/tritium? :) Or look at your radio.
    nodnar likes this.

Tritium is the way to go. I have an Isobrite watch with t100 tubes that is as brite as my Ball watches, but not nearly as nice. All those are rather new, so the jury is out on longevity. I had a Luminox and the tubes died just before the ten year mark. To my old eyes regular lume dies rather quickly to the point of being useless. I had a Wyler watch my parents got for me when in jr high, back in 1959 that glowed all night, but I think the material was quite different then.

I had a Timex with a button for lighting up the dial.... that's a cheap option for seeing the dial.
    Last edited by Angler; 1 Week Ago at 18:15.

My Traser was great when it was new 13 years ago, but now, 13 years later the tritium tubes are really, really dim. I sent my watch in to have serviced at a place Traser recommended and they only changed the hands but not the markers. So now the hands are bright again, but the markers are so dim they're basically useless. I have no idea why they didn't change all the tubes.

At this point I think the watches are good for only 7 or 8 years, but if you can get all the tubes changed then it's well worth the money. If you can't then I'd go for regular Luminova.

My luminox is 20 years old. No, not as bright as when new. Back then it was a great nightight and you could see it across a dark room.
    20 years later, I can still read the time when I wake up in the middle of the night. Still brighter than luminova after 6 hours in the dark.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread Information