Tritium gas tubes for lume? How bright are they?
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Tritium gas tubes for lume? How bright are they?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Banned

Tritium gas tubes for lume? How bright are they?

I would love to see lume shots of tritium gas tubes, do any watches have it other than Ball?

Re: Tritium gas tubes for lume? How bright are they?

Look through the 140 pages of this thread :

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/hey...s-2129850.html

Tritium isn't brighter initially, but regular lume quickly fades to a lower level, and tritium holds its brightness consistently. A bunch of brands use tritium too - Ball, Marathon, Deep Blue are probably the most common. Search for lume threads on here... there are a lot of them.
    yankeexpress, drdas007 and ffritz like this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Luminox uses tritium tubes. I owned an Atacama and can’t seem to find a lume shot, but they are pretty bright man. When your eyes are fully adjusted at night, it’s probably one of the brightest and easiest to see compared to normal lume.

Others may disagree, but I am strictly speaking from my experience with these watches. I had Luminox and Marathon, and they were rather underwhelming IMO. Yes they would glow brightly enough to read, but nothing spectacular, especially considering some of Luminox's product pictures. I think these are the type of watches many are basing their experience with tritium upon.

Ball watches on the other hand, are a whole different story. My Skindiver II shines brightly from across the room, so much so that it makes it a delight for a watch lover wear at night. I did little experiment, and compared Ball tritium vs Rolex (Exp II), Omega (PO), and Seiko (SRP777). The Ball was as bright as all of the traditional lumes after less than 10 mins in, and that was after I had given them a full charge with a flashlight.

Here's a pic, and you can compare the tritium on the markers with the traditional lume in the bezel

Name:  100%202.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  2.83 MB

Many others.
    Traser, Marathon, Luminox and Armourlite come to mind.

Tritium isn’t as bright initially as a quality standard lume watch. However, after an hour or so the difference is noticeable.

There are two “strengths” of tritium; T25 and T100.
    T100 is brighter and last many more years than T25 due to the amount of gas in the tubes.

Armourlite offers T100 tube models.

As good as modern lume is now, tritium is still the best option for night vision through the night.
    You can always see it no matter what.
    drdas007 likes this.

Here's my Traser because pictures.

It's T25, and I find it perfect. Legible without being overwhelming.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    shemp55 likes this.

Tritium vs traditional lume, such as Superluminova is sort of a tortoise vs hare comparison. Either initially very bright and dulls quickly or dimmer but lasts continuesly for years.

T100 flat tubes are the way to go. The extra surface area really makes a difference.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Armourlite AL302
    Name:  1.  Armourlite AL302.JPG
Views: 435
Size:  2.55 MB
    Name:  2.  Armourlite AL302.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  886.0 KB

Deep Blue have several T100 divers to choose from

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    Others may disagree, but I am strictly speaking from my experience with these watches. I had Luminox and Marathon, and they were rather underwhelming IMO. Yes they would glow brightly enough to read, but nothing spectacular, especially considering some of Luminox's product pictures. I think these are the type of watches many are basing their experience with tritium upon.

Ball watches on the other hand, are a whole different story. My Skindiver II shines brightly from across the room, so much so that it makes it a delight for a watch lover wear at night. I did little experiment, and compared Ball tritium vs Rolex (Exp II), Omega (PO), and Seiko (SRP777). The Ball was as bright as all of the traditional lumes after less than 10 mins in, and that was after I had given them a full charge with a flashlight.

Here's a pic, and you can compare the tritium on the markers with the traditional lume in the bezel

Name:  100%202.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  2.83 MB
    That is a beautifully watch lumed watch. So if I want to get a watch for the spectacular lume I really should only be looking at Ball. I always found that even modern Rolex superluminova will never be bright unless directly taken out of sunlight or if I consciously charge it (which is a nuisance).

I think that luminous paint is pretty much a lost cause, it never has any sharpness unless you go to the intentional effort of charging it. I can't see why Rolex or others don't experiment with gas tubes.
    Last edited by papayaseed; January 9th, 2019 at 23:43.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information