Sturmanskie Original 'Gagarin' 17 Jewel

Thread: Sturmanskie Original 'Gagarin' 17 Jewel

Sturmanskie Original 'Gagarin' 17 Jewel

A better image of my recently purchased 17 Jewel Sturmankie 'Gagarin'. This is the one with the hand-engraved back.

As you can see the acrylic glass is obscuring the minute markers so I hope to get that changed. Maybe repaint the second hand... Funny how the red star and 12 marker faded on these 17 Jewel versions, possibly from the Radium paint? I wonder has anyone ever managed to 'restore' one of these by repainting them...I wouldn't trust myself to do it but could a watchmaker??
    Last edited by Davski; August 12th, 2008 at 03:56.

Re: Sturmanskie Original 'Gagarin' 17 Jewel

hi-mine is the same-£25 on ebay. it is a great watch, mine is from 1956? the dial is 4-6 degrees off vertical. however, the VVS star is still red. the luminosity of the hands seem ok. and it isn't a " frankenwatch".

It does seem that the red paint fades more on later watches - many 15J versions still have some left. Luminosity on mine is barely visible except in total darkness. Not sure why your dial is skewed - if you want to check authenticity I recommend comparing with ill-phil's fantastic pics on http://www.netgrafik.ch/russiantimes.htm.

I am currently having the glass replaced while in for a service - hope to get it back in a few days. I decided against the 're-paint' as it's nice and original this way.
    Last edited by Davski; February 12th, 2009 at 00:27. Reason: Forgot to mention the last bit

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Davski View Post
    It does seem that the red paint fades more on later watches - many 15J versions still have some left. Luminosity on mine is barely visible except in total darkness. Not sure why your dial is skewed - if you want to check authenticity I recommend comparing with ill-phil's fantastic pics on http://www.netgrafik.ch/russiantimes.htm.

I am currently having the glass replaced while in for a service - hope to get it back in a few days. I decided against the 're-paint' as it's nice and original this way.
    hi davski- mine is a 17j model and it seems to be ok. i have seen lots of these on ebay with clumsy repaints on ebay. it is a cracking good piece though! i need some advice on whether to buy an auto or manual amfibia- are the 17j antmagnetics more reliable? thanks, Stalin( or David if you prefer!)

Hi David Stalin , I know nothing about amphibias but it's a good question for the main forum. This is the 'gallery' thread after all... :oops: Good luck!

whoops!

so beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davski View Post
    A better image of my recently purchased 17 Jewel Sturmankie 'Gagarin'. This is the one with the hand-engraved back.

As you can see the acrylic glass is obscuring the minute markers so I hope to get that changed. Maybe repaint the second hand... Funny how the red star and 12 marker faded on these 17 Jewel versions, possibly from the Radium paint? I wonder has anyone ever managed to 'restore' one of these by repainting them...I wouldn't trust myself to do it but could a watchmaker??

Thread Information