WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

old german pocket watch

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Ray MacDonald 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have an old German pocket watch marked with "Max Mengers, Hamburg" on the face. It came in a tear drop shaped case with a see-through window and a fairly heavy chain attached. I'm guessing that it's from around 1920- but who knows, it could be an earlier or later date

It was my Grandfathers watch (he was from Hamburg) and I'm curious as to any history about the watch maker.

thanks,
RC

#2 ·
Hi -

Pictures are usually an enormous help... :)

The name may also refer to a jeweler that had the watch made, fairly common in the past, but without photos, especially of the movement, there is little that we can tell you...

JohnF

#4 ·
We won't be able to really help unless we see a picture of the movement. Based on what I've seen so far I'd say your watch dates to the early 1900s. It has those characteristic Art Nouveau hands from that era.
Looks like the case is hinged so you should be able to open the back at the top with a sharp knife or pocket watch case opener. Underneath that you may see a dust cover which will probably snap open as well. Try with a fingernail first.
http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/OPENCASE.html

#6 ·
Well it's obviously Swiss, probably around 1910 I'd say. Seeland was one of the brands used by Invicta back in the day when it was a real Swiss company.
From the look of the regulator I'd say it needs cleaning and adjustment.
Max Mengers was probably a Jeweler in Hamburg.

#8 ·
Thank you very much!

Were cases a common accessory or something that a jeweler would have built for a specific watch?

Richard
There were/are a number of specialty companies which make cases which were sold to a variety of companies/jewelers to encase their watches.

#9 ·
Back before 1920 at least the watch cases and movements were made and sold separately, so you chose your watch and case at the jeweler, who would case it for you.
This why in some situations you have a gorgeous case with a lower quality movement in it, or a beautiful railroad watch in a crappy old RGP or Silveroid case. For an engineer or brakeman, the watch was a tool, so he didn't spend a lot more than needed for decent protection. But I digress.
The jeweler often had his own name put on the dial, case, and once in a while on the movement itself. These were essentially "private label" watches but had the same movement serial number as one sold with the manufacturer's label.
I have a Hampden 18S from 1883 that has the jeweler's name right on the movement - but the dial says Hampden. Go figure.

#11 ·
It depends on the watch.
First of all a case serial number is totally useless. It was purely a production number and records were never kept. You need a serial number from the movement.
Certain Swiss makers (Omega, Longines, Tissot for example) kept records and these are available so in those situations we have good identification. Most Swiss makers did not so we can only guess the decade or maybe get info from silver hallmarks on the case.
American makers (Hamilton, Hampden, Elgin, Illinois, Waltham) kept meticulous records and these are available which makes ID quite easy.
The greatest tragedy in timekeeping is Gruen - they had great records but the morons who took over the company in 1958 destroyed them all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.