WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Sinn U-1 shock question

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  David Woo 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I also posted this on the dive watch forum. My question is this:

1) What, in practical terms, does having the U-1 be in accordance with DIN 8308 mean in reference to shock resistance? Sports, physical activities, dropping the watch off a tall building? ;-)

2) Is the U-1 "more" shock resistant than other diver watches with an incabloc shock system?

Thanks for any input!

#2 ·
I have done it all, except the tall building part. If I may suggest, just before you land, make sure your body hits first.
I do not think the ETA movement in a Sinn is much different from the other ETA :s, of the same Grade.

#4 ·
I believe not all incabloc are equal. The latest being the new 'novodiac' design compared to the standard ones.

It also depends on which ETA is used. Since the U1 utilises ETA 2824-2 I would think that the incabloc are the standard types.

As to how the different designs performs under shock...I don't know but since the novodiac is new I would assume that functions better.

#5 ·
Well... I went mountainbiking with my TAG Heuer Super Professional and since then it is broken. Broken as in the automatic winding feature no longer winds as i have to manually wind the watch every morning. Something is loose inside the watch and i believe that it is the "anchor" that somehow has broken off.
So would i go riding my rigid singlespeed mountainbike with my new Sinn? I would think long and hard about it... and then wear a G-Shock.

#6 ·
I can't compare with other dive watches, but this June I dropped my U1 (from about waist height - slipped out of my hands as I was taking it off .... silly accident) onto a hard tiled floor, and completely bricked it - no movement, wouldn't wind, wouldn't operate. There was (and still is) a noticeable dent on the case where it hit the ground, and I had to send it into the shop where it spent a few weeks in repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.