Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Speedometer Tachometer Measuring instrument Gauge Auto part
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Black Font Text Light Electric blue

The new Oris in-house movement is impressive.

See less See more
#3 ·
Great photos. I love this watch too. I have other Oris watches but the in-house calibre is so good. Love the Big Crown ProPilot finishing but it is especially well done on the Calibre 111.

Love the design of the clasp but it was too bulky for me in practice. Now I have mine happily on an Erika's Originals Black Ops MN strap.

Looking forward to your continued thoughts on this watch. I sing its praises to everyone. It doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Attachments

#4 ·
Wonderful strap - looks very nice on your wrist.

Yes, I agree this watch is underappreciated. There are many elements of it that are appealing:
1. Caliber 111 movement - Oris' first in-house movement in a long time, wonderful to look at.
2. 10-day (actually it goes to 11 days, based on Oris' CEO) power reserve. I don't know of another watch that can do this amount.
3. Double-domed, internal and external anti-reflection coated front and back sapphire crystals
4. 9 o'clock date (and slightly larger date size) - I actually like this as it is unobtrusive on the watch, and hides under a shirt sleeve if you just want to peek at the watch (as long as you wear the watch on the left wrist).
5. Screw-down crown with 100m water resistance. And nice large crown size, very nice to wind and set.
6. Large, clear hands and indicators, all lumed very evenly.
7. Very high quality case, with a hint of 'tool watch' look to it, but tasteful, that makes it compatible with many wardrobes.
8. Beautifully-balanced small seconds hand and power reserve meter.
9. Love the strap/clasp (kind of like a seatbelt clasp). Have the OEM metal band coming soon, so will see how it works.

This watch has as much as the IWC Big Pilot (save for maybe the large seconds hand on the BigPilot) or more (i.e. clear case back, 10-day power supply) for a fraction of the price. It is an 'underdog' in it's price range, and certainly deserves much more praise.

There is a person who posted a blue dial version of the Oris Big Crown Propilot Cal 111 on prior threads. Supposedly that version is only from a dealer in Europe, but hopefully it will be available elsewhere.

Really enjoying and appreciating this watch!

#10 ·
Thank you, Wolfgang! I cannot attest to having performed an appropriate accuracy test yet, but comparing it to my Citizen eco-drive (which syncs with the atomic clock in Colorado) it is easily within 5-10 seconds over 24 hours.

One aspect of watches with large power reserves is the variability of isochronism depending on where the power reserve is set - i.e. if this watch is wound up all the way to 10 (or 11 per Oris' CEO) days, it may run much faster than usual (one WUS owner said up to 30 seconds per day, if I recall); conversely, if it is set too low (i.e. 1-2 days) it may run much slower than usual.

The in-house Oris movement I think controls this isochronism very well. I've been keeping it around the 5 day mark right now, and so far that seems to be a sweet spot!

#14 ·
Thanks. The strap is wonderful - it doesn't seem too bulky at all (especially for this somewhat substantial watch). The 'seat buckle' clasp is a real highlight - and you can adjust it precisely to the size you want by sliding the strap through the buckle (just like a seat belt on a plane). It also doesn't seem to soften, and a like that aspect. If a soft cloth strap is needed, then a NATO would be the choice.

Wish Oris' strap was available for other brands!

#16 ·
I love that Oris flies (relatively) under the radar. If you see somebody wearing one chances are very good they're a Watch Guy. I'm hoping to add this piece to my Oris collection later this year for exactly the reasons noted above. It's a superb timepiece in every regard.

#33 ·
I own a ProPilot date and generally like to stay at 40mm and under, but the 41mm PP date works great (lug to lug under 49mm, I believe). My wrist is just under 6.5". I tried on the PP Calibre 111 in the store and was surprised that I could pull it off, if I were into the big watch look. It really did not look ridiculous, and the 50mm LtL is the main reason. The lugs also curve down a lot. The Diver 65 42mm on the other hand is too big for my wrist, mostly because of flat lugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#36 ·
Lovely watch BUT, for over a tad £3000 yes i like the 10 day power reserve nice size, but it is not COSC certified, I'm not to hung about it but, Christopher ward have a in-house 5 day power reserve that is half the price and COSC certified, i would buy the Oris myself, but not sure of accuracy as not to many folk seem to have one to make any decision.

#41 ·
Sounds good, although there are not enough users to get an overall accuracy report, if it had the COSC certification i might have been tempted, i appreciate that COSC is not everything, but wind up watches have never been as accurate as Autos, that said if the consensus of the majority of users reported your accuracy then i might feel different. Thanks for the timeograph readings.

#92 ·
Actually, it is not the case that handwound movements are not as accurate as automatic movements.

There are classic stories of Lemania in the '30s winning competitions with handwound movements that had been regulated by Lemania watchmakers. In addition, the Webb C. Ball standard surpasses the COSC specifications and originally those watches were pocket watches.

Your statement may be true for mass produced ETA movements. Of course, in most cases, automatic movements are wound more frequently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.