WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

DW-9350 Raysman: solar battery, right?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  yankeexpress 
#1 · (Edited)
AFAIK, the Raysman is a "Tough Solar" G-Shock, with a solar battery (ML2020, if my research is correct). My Raysman has been in my collection since September, 2013, and I wear it regularly, once or twice a month. But lately it was not achieving full charge, so I thought it was finally time for a battery replacement. However, I was having a hard time finding a spare ML2020 battery. So just to be sure, I opened it up to check:

Circle

Yep, that's a regular Maxell CR2016. I bought the watch through eBay, so obviously the previous owner did the battery job. For all I know, if you stick a non-rechargeable battery in a solar-powered module you would fry the battery, fry the module or both. Theory not withstanding, the watch has been working perfectly these last 5 and a half years

So what should I do now? Use a CR2016 or go after the rechargeable ML2020?

PS: I made a typo: it's the DW-9350, and not DW-9530, sorry. I corrected the title.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: DW-9530 Raysman: solar battery, right?

I'd go for the correct solar battery. I'm sure Yankeexpress will chime in sooner or later. He has quite a few of those and probably knows the correct battery to use. I personally would not use another CR2016.

On a side note, it's been years since you posted. When I started on the forum I read quite a few of our posts, and your pictures were always very good.

#6 ·

On a side note, it's been years since you posted. When I started on the forum I read quite a few of our posts, and your pictures were always very good.
Ha, you're from the Old Guard :). Yeah, it's been a while since I was last here.

depends on how many G's you have and how precious this G is in your collection, one of my 2300's has been running on non-solar battery for 2 years now, don't see any problems with it
Well, I have more Gs than I should have, that's for sure. But this one is my nicest yellow one, and until now, it was one of my most pristine vintage models.

take the module out and see if the solar panels are still connected. a previous owner might have seen the price of a rechargeable battery or like you, couldnt find one so he mightve just disconnected the panel and put in the nonrechargeable. it what i wouldve done... and have done ;) lol
could also explain why it hasnt fried yet too.
The first thing I thought was that the guy disconnected the solar panels, or else it would have fried. But how do I know?

In the end, being honest, if I can use a regular CR2016 on it, without risk of damaging the module, that's what I would do. The watch was working flawlessly, and I have absolutely no qualms in once every 5 years or so replacing the battery. I've been doing that for years with my regular Gs, so it's no biggy. Besides, I enjoy opening them up and having a look-see to check how the module is holding up and lubing the gasket.

#5 ·

take the module out and see if the solar panels are still connected. a previous owner might have seen the price of a rechargeable battery or like you, couldnt find one so he mightve just disconnected the panel and put in the nonrechargeable. it what i wouldve done... and have done ;) lol
could also explain why it hasnt fried yet too.

#10 ·
hm. wouldnt risk a wrong battery in this watch, no matter if it was ok so far with a wrong one. if the module is toast, its gone most likely and u will have to find a new raysman module. id invest that 15euros in a fitting battery, really no problem there in ordering one nowadays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.