WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Pre-owned luxury car in the 35k and under range?

28K views 163 replies 103 participants last post by  vmgotit 
#1 ·
Finally got the money together to splurge on a Pre-Owned luxury car. Honestly speaking I’m kinda all over the place on this one. I daily drive a Civic hatchback with literally every single option available and really like how great on gas and reliable it is plus it has enough power to be sport for daily driving. But now it’s time to upgrade to something abit nicer.
Max price: 35k
Max mileage: 35k
Requirements: seats at least 4 adults
I don’t care too much about speed so don’t really have a use for an RS/M/AMG.

I was debating on a 2014/15 Maserati Quattroporte SQ4 since they can be had for within the price range but reliability is kinda all over the place so I’m not quite sure....

#2 ·
I would stay away from the Maserati. They are trying to transition into more of the mainstream market and quality and reliability are suffering.

A note of warning to be prepared for a lot hire maintenance and repair costs compared to a Honda. I’ve owned a few bmw’s and it gets crazy. They have run flat tires, so any puncture requires a whole new tire at $400-$500 a piece. I have a Bmw 1 series now and the dealership says I need a new oil pan gasket and it’ll cost $1,500 to put in a $50 part. So a strong recommendation for a good cpo or extended warranty. I paid $1,200 for one warranty on a bmw 3 series that covered the tires, so I got 4 tires replaced for free.

That said, I have a friend who works for Carmax and get to drive a different loaner car as his personal car every other week that was on the lot and listed for under $45k or so. He said after that experience he said he didn’t care what car he drove and would never spend a significant amount on a car. He felt there wasn’t anything special enough differentiating the car to justify spending that much on a car. Then one day he pulled up in an Audi S6. He said that car changed his mind. If he were to ever purchase a car it would be that car.

I never drove the car, so I can’t speak to it myself. However I do trust my friend’s opinion on cars. If I were ever to be in the market for a sedan again, I’d definitely take a look at the Audi S6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I would stay away from the Maserati. They are trying to transition into more of the mainstream market and quality and reliability are suffering.

A note of warning to be prepared for a lot hire maintenance and repair costs compared to a Honda. I've owned a few bmw's and it gets crazy. They have run flat tires, so any puncture requires a whole new tire at $400-$500 a piece. I have a Bmw 1 series now and the dealership says I need a new oil pan gasket and it'll cost $1,500 to put in a $50 part. So a strong recommendation for a good cpo or extended warranty. I paid $1,200 for one warranty on a bmw 3 series that covered the tires, so I got 4 tires replaced for free.

That said, I have a friend who works for Carmax and get to drive a different loaner car as his personal car every other week that was on the lot and listed for under $45k or so. He said after that experience he said he didn't care what car he drove and would never spend a significant amount on a car. He felt there wasn't anything special enough differentiating the car to justify spending that much on a car. Then one day he pulled up in an Audi S6. He said that car changed his mind. If he were to ever purchase a car it would be that car.

I never drove the car, so I can't speak to it myself. However I do trust my friend's opinion on cars. If I were ever to be in the market for a sedan again, I'd definitely take a look at the Audi S6.

Definitely will expect to pay quite a bit for maintence on a luxury car. The S6 is super low key (pretty much with all Audi cars) but I will definitely be taking a look into that. Interior doesn't really do it for me but I'm sure the performance might make up for it

#3 ·
Finally got the money together to splurge on a Pre-Owned luxury car. Honestly speaking I'm kinda all over the place on this one. I daily drive a Civic hatchback with literally every single option available and really like how great on gas and reliable it is plus it has enough power to be sport for daily driving. But now it's time to upgrade to something abit nicer.
He said after that experience he said he didn't care what car he drove and would never spend a significant amount on a car.
I never drove the car, so I can't speak to it myself. However I do trust my friend's opinion on cars. If I were ever to be in the market for a sedan again, I'd definitely take a look at the Audi S6.

I'm kinda on both your sides - nothing nice enough to spend that kind of money on a single car. Why not have a daily driver ie Civic 2006 with low miles, and buy a Porsche 996 in an odd colour - ruby, green, yellow with an odd colour interior. That car is in budget, can be driven on special occasions and will go up in value.

you'll thank me later :)

#5 ·
Porsche is a good option if you are able to keep your current car. Before I was married and had a kid, I was looking at a used Porsche Cayman. There was a dealership that had a CPO Cayman with low miles for around 30k. Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on that.

the only cars that appreciate are 911s unfortunately - or a GT4. Guess which idiot sold a 964 right before the prices rocketed???

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Motor vehicle

#10 ·
I know you said luxury - but for $35 000, in a used car, I'm taking a close look at the nicest, newest Mustang GT I can find. Not a traditional 'luxury' brand, but loaded with cool tech, fun to drive, and seats 4 people without issue (though not necessarily in comfort).

If you want something more luxury oriented, I'd forego the Maserati but try to stick to the charm of an Italian sports sedan with the Alfa Romeo Giulia. I've heard reliability is a *bit* hit or miss, but newish, with a remaining warranty, and you should be alright. Certainly no worse off than with the Maserati. Plus, I've heard nothing but amazing things about the car, and its driving dynamics.

A final option - and one that I think would be sorely tempting - is the Kia Stinger. Once you get your mind around the badge - it's an incredible car that does everything more traditional luxury / sports cars do, but better, cheaper, and more reliably. It's also one that you could get new, and fully loaded, in, or near your price range. Or, save some money and buy lightly used.

#11 ·
Lol "though not necessarily in comfort" the 5.0 mustangs are actually pretty nice cars but not what I'm looking for at the moment. Alfas seem pretty nice but haven't really had close experience with one but I heard they're pretty much like Maserati's Italian after all. Stinger is a unique choice.

#12 ·
Update
This will be a car that i’ll take out on occasions where a luxury car is somewhat necessary. Grew up in a culture where cars are one of the first things that represents family status so would use it to attend business/family gatherings. Have been looking at Alpina B7 and Audi S8 lately for sedan options.

#14 ·
Finally got the money together to splurge on a Pre-Owned luxury car. Honestly speaking I'm kinda all over the place on this one. I daily drive a Civic hatchback with literally every single option available and really like how great on gas and reliable it is plus it has enough power to be sport for daily driving. But now it's time to upgrade to something abit nicer.
I don't care too much about speed so don't really have a use for an RS/M/AMG.

I was debating on a 2014/15 Maserati Quattroporte SQ4 since they can be had for within the price range but reliability is kinda all over the place so I'm not quite sure....
I bought a Porsche Cayenne S and I wish I had done more research on it before I purchased it because of the maintenance every 20k miles. I really like it and get so many complements and looks but I can't spend those at the repair shop. Make sure you an extended warranty from either where you purchase it from or from an independent warranty service.

#15 ·
I don't care too much about speed so don't really have a use for an RS/M/AMG.

I was debating on a 2014/15 Maserati Quattroporte SQ4 since they can be had for within the price range but reliability is kinda all over the place so I'm not quite sure....
I bought a Porsche Cayenne S and I wish I had done more research on it before I purchased it because of the maintenance every 20k miles. I really like it and get so many complements and looks but I can't spend those at the repair shop. Make sure you an extended warranty from either where you purchase it from or from an independent warranty service.
Maintenance will definitely be expensive for a luxury car but the thing is to never take it to the dealership for the regular maintenance stuff. A good independent will take care of that. It seems like you drive a lot! 20k miles would last me 3years ?

#17 · (Edited)
Bang for your buck in that price range: check out Lincoln MKZ. They drop in price quite drastically once they roll off the lot, and you get a TON of car for the money. I see them going for under your budget around me all the time. They're great cars too - smooth, quiet, powerful, and not fugly. Jalopnik recently featured them in the "best value used luxury sedan" category, and it was hands-down the favorite among their writers (a tough thing to do - they are opinionated af). As a sedan guy myself, I'm seriously considering one on my next buy, sometime next year.

EDIT: I don't know where you live, OP, so I just punched in Dallas at truecar.com. Anyway, MKZ models 2018 or newer are going for HALF of their MSRP, and the miles on these things are ridonculously low. So, a killer car with < 20,000 miles for under $30k... Yeah, the guys at Jalopnik kick ass. ;)

Chrysler 300 as well. There are tons of trims, and it's a fun fun FUN car to drive. Not "luxury" in the normal sense, but the high-end ones drive like a luxury.

Also +1 on the Kia Stinger. Holy cow, I've never seen the online car community more united behind a fast-as-hell sedan as this. Very minor divergences among the top car magazines. It's outside your budget, and used ones are difficult to find (because it's such a new model), but give it time and you might be able to pick one up lightly used. I see them once in a while, and like TheWalrus said, once you get off the "Kia badge" mentality, it's a killer sedan. That white one to me is mouth-watering.

Great advice on avoiding Maserati. A couple guys in my neighborhood have them, and I know the one guy regrets it.

#18 ·
Bang for your buck in that price range: check out Lincoln MKZ. They drop in price quite drastically once they roll off the lot, and you get a TON of car for the money. I see them going for under your budget around me all the time. They're great cars too - smooth, quiet, powerful, and not fugly. Jalopnik recently featured them in the "best value used luxury sedan" category, and it was hands-down the favorite among their writers (a tough thing to do - they are opinionated af). As a sedan guy myself, I'm seriously considering one on my next buy, sometime next year.

EDIT: I don't know where you live, OP, so I just punched in Dallas at truecar.com. Anyway, MKZ models 2018 or newer are going for HALF of their MSRP, and the miles on these things are ridonculously low. So, a killer car with < 20,000 miles for under $30k... Yeah, the guys at Jalopnik kick ass. ?

Chrysler 300 as well. There are tons of trims, and it's a fun fun FUN car to drive. Not "luxury" in the normal sense, but the high-end ones drive like a luxury.

Also +1 on the Kia Stinger. Holy cow, I've never seen the online car community more united behind a fast-as-hell sedan as this. Very minor divergences among the top car magazines. It's outside your budget, and used ones are difficult to find (because it's such a new model), but give it time and you might be able to pick one up lightly used. I see them once in a while, and like TheWalrus said, once you get off the "Kia badge" mentality, it's a killer sedan. That white one to me is mouth-watering.

Great advice on avoiding Maserati. A couple guys in my neighborhood have them, and I know the one guy regrets it.
I've been looking a lot of the different brands of luxury cars, my buddy has a new midsize Cadillac SUV (not 100% sure of the model) but that thing was nice! Full pano roof and super spacious. The Lincoln's are nice too not going to lie... and the Volvo SUVs are something else! Only thing I don't like about the stinger is that red taillight thingie that just ruins the over all look in my opinion. A part of me wants reliable and true luxury like the cars you just mentioned but another part of me wants something with branding because it's like a super big thing where I'm from.

#20 · (Edited)
If you get one with a warranty AND will sell before the warranty is up then buy what ever floats your boat (but you may still have down time for warranty repairs for some brands.) If you are buying long term the only real option in my mind is Lexus, and this is coming from someone who used to work at the corporate level of their competitor. Personally Id avoid Maserati or any of the other Fiat-Chrysler products under any circumstance (except the Wrangler.)

#22 ·
If you are buying long term the only real option in my mind is Lexus, and this is coming from someone who used to work at the corporate level of their competitor.
Yeah, Lexus rocks.

Only thing I hate about Lexus (and Audi) is that gaping hole in the front. In direct sunlight you can even see the bumper BEHIND the grill. When I see one I think "I NEED AAAAAAAIIIIIIIRRRRR!!!!1" Wish they would dump that look and hire someone who can actually design a proper nose.

On the interior Lexus are marvelous machines but the downside for me is having to look at them.

As always YMMV (pun intended).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Reactions: TheWalrus
#23 ·
You can definitely get a Lexus for 35k. A couple different models in fact. You also wouldn't have to worry about reliability issues, seeing as Lexus has made the spotlight the last couple years as the most reliable car brand. The smaller sport sedans are fun, I have an is250, but the 2 adults in the back seat would be a little more cramped. Car gurus is where I'd start to check out the market. Good luck with the hunt [emoji106]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Have owned BMW, Audi, Infinity and Lexus and my choice would be a Lexus GS series. Low repair costs, impeccable ride and finely appointed rides. Now if you could afford a Porsche and have another ride, the porsche is the way to go as mentioned above regarding appreciation/depreciation. Form follows function!

#30 ·
A Mercedes E class is a nice option, if you don't want a bigger car. I've been driving S classes for almost 15 years, now, and my wife's E class is about half for routine maintenance.

For a bigger sedan in your budget, the Lexus 460's are tough to beat. I'd sure look one over before picking anything else.

#31 ·
I'd normally recommend a c63 amg which can be had around that price range, but based on what you said, get a Lexus ISF. The cars are old and depreciated but the most premium trim will hold it's value better depending on your driving. Your net cost of ownership could be lower than expected. And since it's a Lexus repairs aren't something to worry about as much.

#33 ·
If you can keep your daily driver....a 2009-2010 Porsche 911 997.2 can be found in the $35k range with around 35k miles. Beautiful car, very reliable, and still a head turner.

If you're only going to have one car and it has to be a 4 seater....2015-2016 Mercedes Benz CLS 400 can be found in the $35k range with about 35-40k mile. Luxurious but sporty....and reliable.

I own both cars and enjoy them. No issues to speak of.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Supercar Sports car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car

#35 · (Edited)
Recommend the nicest Lexus you can afford. Very luxurious interiors with Toyota reliabilty.

I drove one over 200,000 miles in 12 years and should have kept it, best car I ever owned by far, but I couldn't tow my new boat with it. Smoothest engine/transmission combo, most comfortable butter-soft leather seats, best sound system in an otherwise quiet sound insulated interior, friggin' fast V-8 that sounded awesome, like ripping silk.....get a Lexus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.