WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 - SLR vs. IWC PILOT CHRONO

8K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  mattjmcd 
#1 ·
I am considering those two chronos. So i would like to read your opinions, since i am reluctant about what to choose.

Tag Heuer peace is limited to 5000 or so.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Classy IWC

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm going to take the presumably unpopular opinion here and say to go with the Heuer. Most IWCs are exceedingly boring to look at in person. Now, if it were the Spitfire, it would have a fighting chance, but the black dial is just not very interesting.

#17 ·
+1

I'd even say the brown dial makes something very nice to the overall appeal - to me, at least. The basic brown of Tags (Carrera maybe?) would be nicer, but the I guess it wouldn't be that Limited. And the tachymeter, which always divides the masses, it actually quite stylish to that otherwise pretty plain dial. Very nice!

That IWC: no.

:)

#6 ·
If it was the Portuguese Chrono, I'd have a very hard time deciding between the two but as it is, I have major love for the 300SLR.
The fact that it isn't black makes it that little easier to wear casually and it is brim full of 1960s motorsport character.

#7 ·
IWC all day long. I just bought the exact watch and it gets more wrist time than my others... Probably combined. You are paying a premium for the IWC name given the movement, but so what. The dial is plain, but that is the intent. I love it because watch people recognize it, and everyone else has no idea... Could be a timex for all they know... Doesn't scream like a Rolex, which I also have but don't wear to work.

#8 ·
i'm normally a big Tag chrono fan but the SLR does nothing for me. Between these two watches as a choice i'd go with the IWC. If you wanted to look at a different Carrera I'd recommend the Caliber 16 43mm, looks much better to me, IMHO.

#12 ·
Tag gets a lot of flak for being wildly successful, highly recognizable, selling expensive quartz watches, and other sort of stuff that makes WISes angry, as far as I can tell. I have a Monaco and have an Aquaracer Chronotimer incoming, and I'm not at all bothered by the sentiment of some here. They're high quality watches that use ETA movements....much like many brands costing thousands more.

#13 ·
Between the two brands in general, IWC, no contest, just look at their portfolio at the higher end of the scale; between these two, probably the Tag, though rather the plain vanilla 1887,as it sports an in-house movement (versus the IWC's mundane 7750) and has a nice, clean look to it.

Used to own the IWC 3717 and, while a solidly built piece, I agree, it's too expensive for what you get, especially after the recent price hike....plus I really hated the infamous 7750 'wobble'....

Cheers,

Pieter

#14 · (Edited)
I have seen both in the flesh and I know folks who own both.

Between the 2 watches, the Heuer to me is alot more interesting as a watch and cheaper. The caseback is splendid, and the brown dial is not just brown and more brown. Under light, it gives off a very interesting sunray pattern.

As for the IWC, if you really like the look of the pilot watch, go for it. As for the so-called 7750 'wobble' that Pieter mentioned, it is not very apparent on the Portfofino chrono I owned. IWC does a great job with this movement and you don't feel the rotor wobble which on other hand is very obvious on other implementations by other manufacturers.

Go to the AD, get both side by side, and follow your heart. If it is still a tie, get your loved one to help you decide. Works for me.

#16 ·
"As for the so-called 7750 'wobble' that Pieter mentioned, it is not very apparent on the Portfofino chrono I owned. IWC does a great job with this movement and you don't feel the rotor wobble which on other hand is very obvious on other implementations by other manufacturers."

Hmm, well maybe I just have really sensitive wrists then :) weird thing is, I don't feel the wobble at all on my previous-gen Portuguese Chrono, but maybe that's because its 79240 movement is much heavier modified than the Pilot Chrono movement?

Cheers,

Pieter

#18 ·
Tag gets a lot of flak for being wildly successful, highly recognizable, selling expensive quartz watches, and other sort of stuff that makes WISes angry, as far as I can tell. I have a Monaco and have an Aquaracer Chronotimer incoming, and I'm not at all bothered by the sentiment of some here. They're high quality watches that use ETA movements....much like many brands costing thousands more.
+1.

#19 ·
I own the IWC Pilot Chrono. I also own two Tags: the Aquaracer 500M and a Carrera. I went through a period when I learned much more about watches and began to regret the purchase of the IWC for exactly the reasons listed (it's an expensive watch for that movement, there is a premium associated with the IWC brand) and was downright angry when I went to buy a bracelet for the IWC (and instead bought another Tag!). Having said all of that, I love the Pilot Chrono and wear it a ton. It dresses up, it dresses down. The case and face are clean and simple but have an elegance or finish that I appreciate. I do not regret the decision any more.

It's tough to go wrong. They are two great pieces. My gut is that the IWC is the real keeper of the two.

#20 ·
good time to bring this recent gem out:

WIS Handbook, Chapter 1, Rules 1 and 2:

1. Tag Heuer never wins a poll. Should a member feel the need to express the desire to own one, he or she may be subject to ridicule and be ostracized.

2. Omega wins all polls. Should Omega not be mentioned as a selectable option, it is highly suggested that you still recommend the polling member purchase an Omega, preferably a Speedmaster with hesalite crystal to add extra character and a certain warmess to the dial.

#22 ·
I think it's interesting that some people will choose one because it's an IWC and others choose the other even though it's a TAG Heuer.
What makes this comparison ore interesting is that the IWC is essentially a 7750 based watch; typically what TAG Heuer are most often criticised for doing; simply using a plug in movement.
Ok, in this case IWC are known for having IWC specific modifications so that makes it all peachy.
Except this 1887 is using a pretty much unique to TAG Heuer and not to mention, highly regarded in its own right, movement so in pure kudos terms, it technically beats the IWC.

and yet people still can't get over the TAG Heuer hurdle.

Yes yes, it started off as a (expensive) Seiko but why should that mean it's not worth it?
In my mind, it's like having an Armani suit tailored for you by Paul Smith or in car terms, a Lotus Elise where a bog standard and very good Toyota engine has been re-mapped with proprietary intake and exhaust and fuel mapping to make one of the best driving cars ever.

As weird as it sounds; this 300SLR is the Lotus Elise of the watch world.

#23 ·
The Tag any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I love the 6s37 movement, and the 1887 is by all accounts an improvement (if minor) on it. The 7750, while being absolutely dependable and accurate, is a tractor of a movement.

The Carrera has a great looking dial, unusual and elegant case and colour combo. Can't think of a nicer brown dial watch, at the moment.

The IWC is great, but as Raza noted, the Spitfire is the nicer variant. If you like the black dial, consider a Sinn 356 or 358 instead. Or a Damasko.

If you are interested in the 3717 though, buy it soon before the monstrosity that is the new model supplants it. It has a three-date date wheel, among other things...

#24 ·
I am agnostic on the brownish dial color, but overall I'd prefer the TAG/Heuer 1887. It's likely the better and more interesting movement, the price is decent, and it's true to its auto sport heritage. What's not to like?

ETA- I am a huge IWC fan, so take the above for what it's worth...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.