WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Disappointed in 1200T Bracelt Clasp

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kycigar 
#1 ·
After lusting over the Doxa 1200T for several months, I finally ordered one and received it a few weeks ago. I love the watch except for the bracelet clasp. The polished pressed stainless clasp seems cheap compared to the beautiful brushed machined stainless bracelet. It works fine, but I frankly expected a CNC machined clasp with push buttons rather than a pressed fold over. On the Doxa website they offer rubber straps but to upgrades to the standard stainles bracelet. Am I missing something here? Are there any aftermarket alternatives?

#2 ·
Robi, I hate that you're partially disappointed in your 1200T, but if you were expecting something more technical in a bracelet clasp, I can see how you might feel let down. DOXA does offer what you're looking for, but only in the 1500T (sold out), 5000T (almost sold out), 800Ti (currently available), and the new Mission 31 (available for pre-order). I don't know of any aftermarket alternatives, but I'm sure somebody could figure something out.

Honestly as a diver, I prefer the durability and rugged simplicity of the classic stamped steel/fold-over design. There are no springs or buttons to become fouled with sand, small fragments of shell, mud, or silt. Also the traditional fold-out dive suit extension, gives 10 more millimeters of extension, compared to the ratcheting clasp, allowing me to wear my Subs with the stamped clasp more frequently when diving. The ratcheting clasp on my 5000T just doesn't extend far enough, so I can't wear it with most of my wetsuits.

I noticed that you're in St. Pete, and I'm in Clearwater Beach for the next week. I have my 5000T with me, so if you want to meet up for lunch somewhere, and check out DOXA's ratcheting clasp, just let me know.

#4 ·
I can see your point about the simplicity and durability of the stamped fold over design compared to the relative fragility of push button springs. I hate to admit this but I bought my 1200T as a vintage collectible to be worn only for desk diving. When I am really diving I use a beater Citizen on a Nato strap. So for desk diving and office/casual wear it would be a nice option if Doxa were to offer an upgraded BOR or mesh bracelet as an accessory on their website. Thanks for the lunch offer but I am pretty slammed at work this week.

#3 ·
First thing I did when I recently got my 750 was swap the bracelet for an Isofrane. I really didn't like the BOR styling. As an experiment i've changed it back and have to say it has grown on me.
The clasp is easily the equal of my Submariner's 93150 strap which many seem to complain about of feeling cheap and more importantly flimsy. As Subkrawler says, it's functional simplicity. I've read a lot of comments re the Doxa clasp and honestly don't understand where the problem is. I myself was expecting to find a cheap and flimsy clasp when I got mine but was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't. I suppose it's an expectation thing. My Rolex strap has lasted 27 years and had only one new clasp fitted in that time due to a worn out pin.
The most solid feeling strap I have is on my Seiko Tuna which has the new style ratchet clasp and again being honest this strap does make both the Doxa and Rolex straps feel less engineered. As mentioned before though, that functional simplicity can mean that it will give years of use with nothing more than a clean water wash.

#5 ·
I was not a fan of the BOR bracelets at first but over the years I have really grown to like them. Great vintage look and very comfy. Yes, I too wish Doxa would come out with an upgraded ratcheting clasp for their other models or even a butterfly type with buttons on either side but the current type is certainly adequate.

#10 ·
I think the Doxa stamped steel clasp is equally as durable as the "old style" Rolex clasps. I've owned Subs, GMT Masters and a Seadweller with stamped clasps and never had an issue. I know that many Rolex enthusiasts have been critical of the clasp because it feels "cheap", but from a functional standpoint it has done its job time and time again--keeping the bracelet closed and the watch securely on the wrist. I've owned a Rolex with the new style solid steel clasp, and honestly, it seems to me like it could be a problem in a practical application such as diving where sand, grit and who knows what else could work its way into the clasp while in use. Sure, it "feels" more elegant and substantial but I'm not convinced that it is any more effective than the stamped steel which would operate regardless of how much "gunk" it collected.

Of course, I also think Rolex abandoned the "tool watch" business long ago. The last (and I think still best) real dive watch they produced was the 16600 Seadweller. Just a wonderful piece, and now that they have been discontinued and are going for crazy prices I wish I still had mine...

But I digress. IMO the Doxa stamped clasp seems to be durable enough for actual dive use, and along with the diver extension I think its a very user friendly bracelet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.