WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Yes Man Watches: An interview with Yes Man founder Nathan Resnick

9K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  Perdendosi 
#1 · (Edited)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Yes Man Watches are as much about how to spend your time effectively as they are about telling the time. The guys behind the brand want the wearer of their watches to squeeze the most out of every living moment and live the Yes Man lifestyle. We asked Nathan Resnick of Yes Man Watches to tell us more about the watch and the passion to make the most of every minute life has to offer.

1) Please tell us more about yourself and why you arrived at the Yes Man watch concept.

NR: My name is Nathan Resnick, currently a University of San Diego undergraduate student, and the founder of Yes Man Watches. The Yes Man concept originated from an innovative watch buckle idea, and was combined with my passion for a 'Yes Man' lifestyle after realizing who I am; I try to make the most of my time, and consider the use of my time. Time is invaluable and everyone has the same 24 hours in a day, yet so few actually consider how they spend their time. Our watch isn't just a timepiece. It is a way to consider your use of time. By wearing our watch we strive to empower people to realize It's Your Time. Everyone has a dream, but why do so few chase their dreams? We say don't go about life wondering what you could have been. You and I, we don't want to be those guys. Regardless of your past or present, there is still time to do what you desire. As a student, I am always trying to get the most out of my days. Upon completing the school year, I was excited to start what I thought would be an amazing internship. Little did I know, the tiresome 9-5 job was not how I envisioned my summer, nor the rest of my life. I felt constrained at work by a monotonous daily routine. But instead of procrastinating after work, I was up till 3am balancing the time zones of four different cities (Shen Zhen, Budapest, San Diego, DC). I taught myself the keys to outsourcing, patent application, website design, non-disclosure agreements, manufacturing contracts; the list goes on. The start-up process has been a learning experience and I continue to progress on a daily basis. I am a firm believer in the saying, "one who thinks they know all the answers, has not been asked all the questions."

2) The term 'Yes Man' normally refers to one who unquestioningly obeys commands. What made you decide on this name for your watch brand?

NR: Though this seems to be the connotation of 'Yes Man', I believe the words have a different meaning. When my team and I use the phrase 'Be A Yes Man' we are trying to empower each other to make the most of our time. This includes considering every opportunity and weighing the potential outcomes. Even when people tease, "Nathan, you must say yes" it makes me consider the given situation, which is better than overlooking it completely. A great brand revolutionizes the way people act, think, or interact. Yes Man Watches is striving to do just that; revolutionize the way people consider time.

3) The Yes Man logo looks like a Martini glass to some and a Y-man to others. Which one is it and why?

Logo Text Font Brand Graphics

NR: Our logo is what you make of it, just how time is what you make of it. Our goal is to empower people to realize It's Your Time. Whether you would like to look at our logo and feel relaxed through the depiction of a Martini glass, or if you see it as a Yes Man motivating you, the decision is yours.

Making the most of your time means cherishing every moment you have. I enjoy surfing, hiking, and biking, and can more often than not be found adventuring outside of the classroom. Though when it comes down to hitting the books, I strive to limit distractions and efficiently get work done. The same can be applied for when I have fun; I make the most of my time when I hike by cherishing the moments I share with others, limiting distractions (cellphones), and focusing on having an awesome time at that given moment. Being a Yes Man can and should be applied to all aspects of life.

4) Your logo is positioned at 5 o'clock; this denotes the freedom hour when work finishes and fun begins. What do you want people to think about when they see that time on their Yes Man watch?

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

NR: Having our logo positioned at 5 o'clock came from the feeling I had after getting off from a tiresome day of work. I realized too many people feel constrained by the 9-5 workday. Life is full of constraints, but truly there isn't anything holding you back but yourself. Your potential is limitless and maybe you won't need that 9-5 job anymore. After 5 o'clock, It's Your Time, so do something with it!

Though my original inspiration for this logo positioning came from the 9-5 workday, after talking to friends and family I realized this could denote the saying, "It's five o'clock somewhere." In other words, it's okay to have a drink now. It is also extremely ironic as our logo was originally designed as a Yes Man, but older people most often seem to see it as a Martini glass. It's your call whether the positioning of our logo motivates you to chase your dreams after work or have a drink. Both can be rewarding as long as you're making the most of your time.

5) Where are the watches assembled?

Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Fashion accessory

NR: One of the most challenging parts of this whole start-up has been finding a reputable and trustworthy manufacturer. For a while most of my time went towards this pursuit because it is key when going from idea to product. After a seemingly endless amount of research, I was able to connect with a reputable manufacturer in Shen Zhen, China. I now feel as though I understand the keys to outsourcing and converting an idea to actual product. Feel free to reach out to me, as I'd be happy to help anyone being a Yes Man to turn their ideas into a reality and further share my outsourcing adventure.

6) What movement powers the watches?

NR: Our watch is powered by an ultra reliable Japanese Miyota 2035 quartz movement. I went with a fairly simple movement because I wanted to first focus on our patent-pending buckle design. In the future, this movement may change but for now that is what we are working with.

7) Please tell us more about your hole-less leather strap and the buckle.

Technology Electronic device

Analog watch Watch Brown Fashion accessory Strap

NR: Our new patent-pending buckle has nearly twice as many sizing options, guaranteeing a comfortable fit. Instead of holes in the leather, we have a row of notches sewn into the back of the leather. When you put our hole-less buckle on, you slide the strap through the buckle, and the buckle catches on these individual notches, making for an abundance of sizes.

Traditional watch buckles that catch on the holes in the leather, not only restrict the wearer to a certain number of sizing options, but damages the leather every time the wearer adjusts their watch. Never rock a worn out leather strap again with our hole-less buckle that will always keep the leather looking new by taking pressure off the strap.

8) Yes Man Watches originated from your own passion to do more with your lives. Will you be including a manual with the watch to tell people how to do more with theirs?

NR: Though we will not be including a manual to tell people how to do more with their life, we will be striving to empower people to realize It's Your Time. By rocking a Yes Man Watch, you will be taking a step towards making the most of your time. Furthermore, you will be connected to like-minded thinkers who are striving to do more with their lives.

We are also launching a Yes Man of the Month contest in which every month we will be featuring someone that immensely fits the Yes Man lifestyle. No matter what you dream is, we want to hear it, and know how you are taking action to reach it. Share your Yes Man story with your friends and family, and believe in what you're doing. At the end of every month we will choose someone and help that person become closer to living their dreams.

9) Will there be other models in the Yes Man watch range and who is your target audience?

NR: This is just one of many models to come. We are actively working with our designers and manufacturer to produce models that will further inspire people to consider their use of time. We are open to suggestions, so if any Watchuseek readers are interested in becoming involved, let us know!

Our target audience is anyone that is looking to make the most of their time. Typically this attracts college students and recent graduates, however our concept has no limit. We plan to revolutionize the way people consider their time, and hope to empower as many people as possible to do so.
In the near future, a subset brand called Yes Women Watches will be launched to inspire women to consider their use of time. This brand will have its own models designed specifically for women looking to revolutionize the way they consider allocating their time.

10) And the vital question for Watchuseek readers, what is the price point?

NR: We are planning on a price point of $150 for our 'Yes Man Original' watch. This special limited-time price will be available to the backers of our crowdfunding campaign. Our current timeline to get watches to you is as follows:

October- receive prototypes.

November- launch crowfunding campaign.

December- Crowdfunding finished (hopefully successful)/ First production run scheduled.

January- Get your watch!

For now please connect with us to ensure you are kept up to date, inspired to make the most of your time, and linked to a community of innovative thinkers yearning to revolutionize the way people consider their time.

We would appreciate your support by checking out our website below and connecting with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (@yesmanwatches).

By becoming a Yes Man, we hope to empower you to realize It's Your Time. Do something with it!

Nathan, thank you for talking to us!

Visit the Yes Man Watches website

See less See more
#7 ·
If you're considering yourself a spineless wimp, then I will have to say that maybe this watch and the concept behind the watch just isn't for you and your fellow invertebrate peers. "Yes Man" has an unbelievably powerful connotation in a certain lifestyle that so many of us are afraid to live. Say all that you want about the cosmetics of the watch (IMO- it's a classic looking watch that can either be dressed up or dressed down) but don't knock the concept behind the watch and the company. You can't sit there and tell me that you do all that you can do every single day to make yourself better as a person and inspire others to do the exact same. We live in a society that is predicated on doing tasks the easiest and most expedited way possible so we can have as much down time as possible. In addition to that, we find all of this down time to be filled with sloth and laziness. The idea of the company is to remind people that you can make even greater use of that time that is seen physically on your wrist to better yourself as a person. I personally really like this idea and the principle for which it stands.

#13 ·
This is a little harsh, but such is life in the anonymous interwebs.

I'm going to apologize for some of the rather 'pointed' comments on here, but unfortunately I must agree. The name doesn't do much to strike up intrigue in me but rather remind me of my brown nosed colleagues of whom I detest.

That is not to say you won't be successful, there are many a brand that I think are misguided and poorly branded that do well (albeit to my shock). I think you have some design ideas working for you though such as your placement of your branding at the 5 o'clock is fun and certainly unique.

While I may not be the best for your application, I do, as an advertising creative think you should toss some coin to a freelancer or two (cheaper than a firm) and at least get a second opinion on the name.

Also, your strap concept seems cool but I'm not sure I can picture how it works without seeing it in action- that may quell some of the critics because everyone needs a niche and that may be yours.

Either way, best of luck to you and I hope your business venture is a great success! Who knows, maybe this strap is just the first step to you producing American in-house movements. When that happens I'll be your first customer, regardless of the branding :)

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

#12 · (Edited)
This is a "subscribe-worthy" thread. And here's why -- it really says a lot about perspective, generational gaps, life experience, and philosophy.

Nathan is a college student, just starting out. What he sees, I think, is his peer group that is not living up to its full potential. That chooses the easy way. That forgets dreams because they might take work or be inconvenient. He also sees impediments to dreaming and success -- a world of "no's" from both his group and the external pressures around it. His statement, "say yes!" And he uses a term that has this traditional definition (following, relegating one's dreams and ideas to the whims of the boss) and turns it on its head. Don't be a "no" guy, be a "yes" man. (Maybe the quotes make it look better, or maybe if he said that "YES" was an acronym for "Young, Energetic, Single," you might like it more?). "Yes," man seems like the calling card of every world organizer who mobilizes young people to reach for social, and maybe even economic, change. And with the claims that the Millenials are the worst slacker generation ever (according to the news magazines, whatever...) that sort of inspiration is a message that needs to be spread.

On the other hand, we're older. Maybe we've seen real-life yes men (or maybe even been one ourselves) and want nothing to do with the term--it's poisoned in our minds. Or maybe, as we get older, we learn the value of "no." Of being honest about using our time not to chase dreams but to spend time with families. Not to agree to be part of every fundraiser, every community event, every work committee that you're asked to be involved in, but rather to be judicious of our choices to make them count, and make life more fulfilling. Perhaps that's why there's this pushback against the name. (On the other hand, I feel like this is a "Shinola" redux -- people not remembering the right definition or looking past the brand the company is trying to create... all the while, the company has to recognize all the baggage that comes with trying to rebrand a negative term.)

And maybe I just like the watch because it's got a martini guy at 5 p.m. Cause "yes" is my answer to that question at that time!
And since it's after 5 p.m.... I'll be on my way.

EDIT: Jake's comment is unnecessary blather, too. But the point is that it's hard to change the world by branding a quartz watch. Nathan, along with recreating a new discourse for "Yes man," I think you should also think about how to expand the brand concept beyond just selling watches.

#14 ·
This is a "subscribe-worthy" thread. And here's why -- it really says a lot about perspective, generational gaps, life experience, and philosophy.

Nathan is a college student, just starting out. What he sees, I think, is his peer group that is not living up to its full potential. That chooses the easy way. That forgets dreams because they might take work or be inconvenient. He also sees impediments to dreaming and success -- a world of "no's" from both his group and the external pressures around it. His statement, "say yes!" And he uses a term that has this traditional definition (following, relegating one's dreams and ideas to the whims of the boss) and turns it on its head. Don't be a "no" guy, be a "yes" man. (Maybe the quotes make it look better, or maybe if he said that "YES" was an acronym for "Young, Energetic, Single," you might like it more?). "Yes," man seems like the calling card of every world organizer who mobilizes young people to reach for social, and maybe even economic, change. And with the claims that the Millenials are the worst slacker generation ever (according to the news magazines, whatever...) that sort of inspiration is a message that needs to be spread.

On the other hand, we're older. Maybe we've seen real-life yes men (or maybe even been one ourselves) and want nothing to do with the term--it's poisoned in our minds. Or maybe, as we get older, we learn the value of "no." Of being honest about using our time not to chase dreams but to spend time with families. Not to agree to be part of every fundraiser, every community event, every work committee that you're asked to be involved in, but rather to be judicious of our choices to make them count, and make life more fulfilling. Perhaps that's why there's this pushback against the name. (On the other hand, I feel like this is a "Shinola" redux -- people not remembering the right definition or looking past the brand the company is trying to create... all the while, the company has to recognize all the baggage that comes with trying to rebrand a negative term.)

And maybe I just like the watch because it's got a martini guy at 5 p.m. Cause "yes" is my answer to that question at that time!
And since it's after 5 p.m.... I'll be on my way.

EDIT: Jake's comment is unnecessary blather, too. But the point is that it's hard to change the world by branding a quartz watch. Nathan, along with recreating a new discourse for "Yes man," I think you should also think about how to expand the brand concept beyond just selling watches.
Perdendosi, I think that is an incredible observation you made there and think it's awesome. From someone who is a bit in the middle, of the two generations, I see both sides of it. I think that while some of the feedback is a bit sharp, I think it's important to listen to some of it. The two contexts of the "Yes man" are extremely different.

If I may say so myself, I find having the Y at the 5:00 mark a bit ironic. If one is to truly be a "Yes Man" in the context that the company views it, I wouldn't really consider him to be a 9-5er anyways. Just a thought.

Honestly I do like the watch. It's not for me, the colors are fantastic, but i'm a fan of sterile dials.

#15 · (Edited)
Please do not take any offense, I am just going to state how I feel. I am a young kid attending college, I am into a little fashion, I like to look good. When I look at your watch design, it's decent and I can see people going after it. However, for me it does nothing. Especially with the name. Brother I know you have a big vision and I really respect your ideas and motivation BUT the name will bury your dream six feet under. The name sounds more similar to a rehabilitation center rather than a watch company.

#16 ·
Nate, this will be a "No man" for me. I have a couple of issues with this watch. Take my comments for what they are worth, but please, understand they are intended as constructive feedback.

As some pointed out, the name doesn't work, for the more you try to spin the philosophy behind it. Having spent enough time in the corporate world, the term 'Yes man' infers someone who doesn't have the gut to step up to his convictions. I had the displeasure to work with some people like that, and they are the wrench that stalls the gears of progress of any business.

From the dictionary:
yes′-man`

n., pl. -men.
a person who always agrees with superiors, regardless of personal convictions; sycophant.
When I looked at this watch, I could only think of this scene: somewhere, in an office space full of cubicles, there is a douchy boss sporting - say, a Rolex - and spitting out some dumb ideas on how to conduct business for a poor employee that probably doesn't agree with a single word that is coming out of the boss' mouth. This poor soul then stares at his wrist to see what time is it - and is reminded to 'Be a Yes Man'. He promptly looks up to the boss and says 'yes, sir. I'm on it'. And gets ready to leave, after all it's 5pm. He then heads straight to the bar for a happy hour, where he will meet other fellow 'yes-men' to complain about their bosses.

That's the other thing about 'yes-men' - most of the ones I had the displeasure to work with are 9-to-5ers and hardly go the extra mile. Sometimes it takes working around the clock get things done. The real go-getters don't constrain themselves to the 9-5 routine.

So, in summary, this name reminds me of this which in my mind is a really bad attitude. This and a bad Jim Carey movie. As you might have guessed, I don't think the name works. At all.

Add to that the fact that this is, by all accounts, a generic quartz watch. Other than a clean design, there's nothing special about it. You can have the most amazing tag line - and philosophy - if you have an unremarkable product to go with it, you're just another fish in the ocean. And the ocean is full of similar fish that can be had for a lot less than $150. Your intentions are good, but honestly, I really don't think you will convey the right message to the right public. But no worries - you are still young, and have a lot of time ahead of you to learn little things like this. Borrowing your line, you will go far if you consider how you use your time.

Which brings me to another point: I think you really have something going on with this buckle design. If I were you, I would make my own time in a different way - I would forget the watch, and this name, and the whole philosophy and I would try to partner up with some established company to get this buckle licensed as soon as a patent is granted. This is BY FAR the most interesting thing on this watch, and it should be on the spotlight a lot more than just being a feature in an otherwise forgettable timepiece. Think about that.

Despite anything negative I have said, know that I wish you the best of luck in your efforts.

#19 ·
The number of people who actually saw the movie "Yes Man" (positive connotation) is dwarfed by the number of people familiar with the long held negatively used phrase 'yes man.'

I saw the movie. I still lean towards the more widely held impression of the phrase.

#20 ·
I've never heard of 'yes-man' before the movie (which I thought was sh*te, mind you). I can understand how, to the older folk, the term would have negative connotations.

My thoughts:

I really like the clasp.
I like symmetry on simple watches like this, so I would prefer the Y to be at 12 or 6. Having said that, I love the idea behind its placement @ 5 (the drinking part, at least).

My main gripe comes with the fact that BeA|YesMan is on the dial and the clasp. I can see you're attached to the name and what it represents, so maybe you could put BAYM, or Y.M. on the dial? Same with the clasp (which I love, as mentioned..).

I think if you ever want the whole thing spelled out, it should be on the caseback. Keep it looking as simple as possible, because YOUR version of a YES MAN does not want to be distracted by heaps of words on his watch, they want to quickly read the time so they can figure out if saying YES to another round of drinks is a good idea :-d:)

Could you fashion the seconds hand to look like the Y logo? That might look cool(er than the Y on the dial?). Might not draw enough attention to the philosophy behind the brand. :think:

Right now I'm mostly interested in the clasp. Disappointed at the fact that they'll be quartz though. Maybe source some cheap Sea-Gull auto movements (or others - not too knowledgeable here) and I think if you can keep the RRP around/below $200 you'll sell quite a few.

Best of luck with it all mate!

#21 ·
I have to add this to the discussion - I second that this should have an auto movement, for the simplest/cheapest it is. I'll even go farther to say it should be a manual wind - that way the owner necessarily has to interact with the watch every day. That is the starting point to any hope of changing the way people consider time. It will maybe increase your costs, but talk with your manufacturer to see by how much. Heck, there are auto-skeleton watches going from $19 on ebay. How much more expensive can this be???

Going back to Nate's interview:

A great brand revolutionizes the way people act, think, or interact. Yes Man Watches is striving to do just that; revolutionize the way people consider time.
The last time I saw a quartz watch revolutionizing the way people act was back in 1983. The watch was colorful, had a catchy name, and wasn't trying to change the way people considered time - but the way they saw the watch as a fashion object. Most importantly, it was cheap. And it helped save the Swiss watch industry.

In my opinion, your project lacks each and every one of these key factors to succeed. All the responses, before and after mine, just come to prove that the meaning of 'Yes Man' you're trying to convey is not working. If you have to explain it every time, the problem is with the message. The choice of movement too - you can't really expect to cram a $5 movement on a case, and charge $150 just to show people how interesting your buckle design is... I've already said and will repeat - the buckle should be the lead singer, and not just a backing vocal of this project of yours.

I hope you take this thread as a "free focus group" - in a way, this is your target audience - I don't know a lot of people other than watch enthusiasts that would pay more than $150 for what most people see as an expensive fashion object - that can easily and cheaply be replaced by a mobile phone. Your usual watch enthusiast likes intrinsic mechanical movements, for the more accurate/low maintenance that quartz is.

I hope you take all these points into consideration when rethinking your product, and make it stronger. Or just realize that your jackpot is in the buckle :)

Best of luck.

#22 ·
Yes by itself is positive

Yes Man unfortunately turns things around and gives a negative impression.

While the name might work strategy wise to cause discussion, I agree that I can hardly imagine anyone wanting to sport a watch that says YES MAN on it amongst their peers, young or old, college or work, it doesnt matter.

While it may work for a movie trying to change things around by using the negative mindset of people to their benefit by redefining it as Yes, Man! without explicitly saying so, it sadly will not work for a product IMHO.

#27 ·
Thank you all for voicing your opinions. All are valid points, and Yes Man Watches we take this into consideration as we finalize the model to be crowdfunded.

Two questions for everyone:
1. What specific watch movement would you suggest?
2. Would you be interested in having the option to buy our patent-pending buckle apparatus separately from our watch?

The generation gap makes for a great discussion regarding the connotation of 'Yes Man'. I look forward to continuing the conversation as we approach the launch of our crowdfunding campaign.

#29 ·
1. What specific watch movement would you suggest?
Going back to a previous point, I think this would be an interesting piece with a manual movement. My vote is for a Unitas 6497 (or clone, since you're outsourcing it to China) movement. But I'm probably not the best one to go over that.

2. Would you be interested in having the option to buy our patent-pending buckle apparatus separately from our watch?
Sure. Depends on a couple of things, though - mostly, how big is the buckle, and how thick is the strap, in comparison to standard sizes?

The generation gap makes for a great discussion regarding the connotation of 'Yes Man'. I look forward to continuing the conversation as we approach the launch of our crowdfunding campaign.
The discussion is great before you release a product. After it's out there, the name should be clear. Having to explain the name of your product every can be the crucial point between success and failure. That's why I would stick with trying to sell watches, and not changing people's outlooks. Just my two cents.

Do you watch the show "Shark Tank"? They had a product a while back that reminded me of your buckle. It's called "Mission Belt". You should look it up.

PS: If I were you, I would take the offer of Egard Watches and start some talks. They have some great watches...

#28 ·
I'm guessing they don't mean yes man like Alan pardew (Newcastle manager) more like the guy who just decided to say yes and open up his life to new experiences and not be held back by what he thought he should do and instead take risks? I think the watches look cool and clean, they aren't expensive at all, I'd pay a bit more for an auto, will you be supplying to the uk?

#30 · (Edited)
Please change the name, it sounds wierd. And also, its a generic quartz watch, why would any one pay 150 dollars for that one, when you can get similar for 100 dollars? Kid I think you need to realize that this forum is for the 1% of all customers buying watches, we know it all and we know the value. You are on the wrong forum trying to sell stuff and/or get positive feedback. You cound might as well put justin bieber on the dial and it would sell out quickly on ebay to young teen girls or similar. Also brown nose, ahaha really funny word, not sure what that means though.

"Browncheron Nosetantin"

#33 ·
This.

It'll take more than a 2 star movie and a quartz watch for Yes-Man to mean something other than what it is.

On the topic of the generational thing, there's a cafe downstairs from my work called Di Stazi - now I'm only 32 but I still think East German Secret Police ;-)

Reactions: MZhammer
#34 · (Edited)
It's hard to believe that there is a generational divide regarding the perceived connotation of the term "Yes Man."

It would be a tough sell for me however, if Zooey were to whisper seductively that I should buy this watch, then perhaps I would reconsider :)

Also, so, the over-the-top sales pitch about how wearing this watch will empower you to live life to the fullest, makes my eyes roll to the back of my head. I don't believe that anymore than I would believe that wearing a rugged divers watch would make me a Navy Seal.

#35 ·
I like the watch. I really like the martini glass at 5 o'clock. The buckle is a cool idea. I'd buy a strap with that buckle on it. 150 for a nice quartz watch is not out of line. But the name? No way. I work in an office environment, it would not be perceived well there, by anyone, young or old. You'll have to take my word for it. That is a deal-breaker for me. I don't want to pile on, but you aren't explaining the name well, there is no connection between your brand and your brand name. Your brand works, so just slap a more imaginative (and supportive) name on there and run with it! The martini glass (don't leave branding open to interpretation - it's a martini glass or it isn't) could just be the start. Each new design could have it's own message, some daily milestone (like happy hour) shared by the target wearer. A sports watch with a dumbbell at 6 (AM). A casual watch with a pillow at 2 (PM). Anyway keep it up and good luck to you.

Last bit of unsolicited advice: include at least one friend/employee/partner who tells you what you DON'T want to hear. A critic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.